Pakistan extends deadline to bid for national airline to June 19

View of a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) passenger plane, taken through a glass panel, at Islamabad International Airport, in Islamabad, Pakistan, on October 3, 2023. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 27 May 2025
Follow

Pakistan extends deadline to bid for national airline to June 19

  • Cash-strapped Pakistan wants to privatize debt-ridden PIA to reform state-owned enterprises
  • Official says deadline has been extended due to Eid Al-Adha, recent India-Pakistan tensions

KARACHI: Pakistan has extended the deadline for expressions of interest (EOI) in purchasing Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) to June 19, the country’s privatization ministry said on Tuesday.

Cash-strapped Pakistan is seeking to privatize the debt-ridden PIA to raise funds and reform state-owned enterprises, as outlined in the $7 billion International Monetary Fund program secured last year.

The earlier EOI deadline was June 3.

“The deadline for submission of Expressions of Interest and Statements of Qualification for ‘Divestment of Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Limited through privatization’ has been extended till 16:00 hours on Thursday, June 19, 2025,” the ministry said in a statement.

“The remaining terms and conditions shall remain the same.”

Speaking to Arab News, a ministry official said on condition of anonymity the deadline had been extended due to Eid Al-Adha next month along with “the recent crisis situation.”

Asked if by “crisis” he meant the recent India-Pakistan military standoff and the ensuing tensions, he concisely responded, “yes.”

Pakistan has been seeking to sell a 51 percent to 100 percent stake in the debt-ridden carrier to raise funds and reform cash-draining state-owned enterprises.

The final bidding round for the privatization of PIA last October drew only one offer of $36 million for a 60 percent stake in the national flag carrier.

Although the government had pre-qualified six groups in June, only the real estate firm Blue World City submitted a bid, which fell significantly short of the government’s minimum price of $303 million.

Potential bidders raised several concerns, including lack of policy continuity, uncertainty around contract enforcement, inconsistent government communication and unfavorable terms and taxation in the aviation sector.

Last year, PIA received permission to resume operations in Europe after a 2020 ban by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which had raised concerns about the oversight capabilities of Pakistani authorities and the Civil Aviation Authority in ensuring compliance with international aviation standards.

EASA and UK authorities had suspended PIA’s operations in the region following a probe into pilot licensing irregularities, launched after a 2020 crash that killed 97 people.

In March this year, the government endorsed a plan to fast-track PIA privatization while reiterating its resolve to offload loss-making public entities from the national exchequer.

With input from Reuters


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”