Atletico keen to keep improving to close gap with rivals, says Simeone

Atletico Madrid will continue their efforts to close the gap on their rivals next season, manager Diego Simeone said on Wednesday as his side look to end the current campaign on a high after falling out of the LaLiga title race. (X/@atletiuniverse)
Short Url
Updated 14 May 2025
Follow

Atletico keen to keep improving to close gap with rivals, says Simeone

  • Simeone’s side faded and now sit third with 70 points from 35 matches
  • Atletico will also have one eye on the upcoming Club World Cup

MADRID: Atletico Madrid will continue their efforts to close the gap on their rivals next season, manager Diego Simeone said on Wednesday as his side look to end the current campaign on a high after falling out of the LaLiga title race.

Atletico’s close-season transfer window last year was headlined by forward Julian Alvarez, with the club also signing midfielder Conor Gallagher, center back Robin Le Normand and striker Alexander Sorloth.

Atletico, who last won LaLiga in 2021, were in the running for the title this campaign and even topped the standings at the halfway mark, but Simeone’s side faded and now sit third with 70 points from 35 matches.

Barcelona are top with 82 points, seven ahead of bitter rivals Real Madrid in second place. Barca could secure the title on Wednesday without kicking a ball if Real fail to beat Mallorca.

“In every season we take steps, last year with the arrival of players and next year we are going to do it the same way, always thinking about improving,” Simeone told reporters ahead of Thursday’s trip to 11th-placed Osasuna.

Atletico will also have one eye on the upcoming Club World Cup.

The expanded 32-team tournament runs from June 14 to July 13 in the United States with $1 billion in prize money at stake.

“The money at stake is for those who are thinking about that competition. For us it’s a very nice tournament, it’s exciting to represent Atletico and we hope to get there in the best way,” Simeone said.

The Argentine was also asked about Carlo Ancelotti, who will leave Real at the end of the season to become the new coach of the Brazil national team.

Ancelotti has enjoyed four hugely successful years in his second tenure with the Spanish giants but they are set to finish this season without a trophy.

The Italian is set to be replaced at the Bernabeu by former Real midfielder Xabi Alonso.

“As a coach, we all have admiration for his work, not only for everything he managed at Real Madrid, but for his entire sporting career. I’m an admirer of his, I love him very much, he knows that and I wish him all the best,” Simeone said.


Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

  • It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh

COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.

Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.

Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.

India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.

The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.

Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.

After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.

Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.

‘Complete performance’ 

Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.

“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.

“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.

“With the ball we were lethal.”

Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.

“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.

“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”

Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.

It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.

Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.

Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).

Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.

Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.

He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.