Japanese military training plane crashes with two on board

The city skyline is seen as the Tokyo Tower looms in the background in Tokyo. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 May 2025
Follow

Japanese military training plane crashes with two on board

TOKYO: A Japanese military training plane crashed shortly after takeoff, authorities said Wednesday, with reports saying two people were on board the aircraft which appeared to have fallen in a lake.
“We’re aware a T-4 plane that belongs to the Air Self-Defense Force fell down immediately after taking off at Komaki Air Base” in central Japan, top government spokesman Yoshimasa Hayashi said.
“Details are being probed by the defense ministry,” he told reporters.
The T-4 seats two and is a “domestically produced, highly reliable and maintainable training aircraft... used for all basic flight courses,” according to the defense ministry website.
The aircraft was flying around Lake Iruka near Inuyama city north of Nagoya, according to media outlets including public broadcaster NHK.
“There is no sight of the plane yet. We’ve been told that an aerial survey by an Aichi region helicopter found a spot where oil was floating on the surface of the lake,” local fire department official Hajjime Nakamura told AFP.
He said his office had received unconfirmed information that there were two people on board but that they had not been able to independently verify this.
Aerial footage of the lake broadcast by NHK showed an oil sheen on its surface, dotted with what appeared to be various pieces of debris.
Just after 3:00 p.m. (0600 GMT) the local fire department received a call saying it appeared that a plane had crashed into the lake, the reports said.
The reports added, citing defense ministry sources, that the training plane had disappeared from the radar.
The defense ministry was not able to immediately confirm details to AFP.
Jiji Press said the local municipality had said there had been no damage to houses in the area.


Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of Daesh militants from Syrian camp

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of Daesh militants from Syrian camp

  • The return of relatives of suspected Daesh ⁠militants ⁠is a political issue in Australia, which has seen a surge in popularity of the right-wing

Australia’s center-left government ‌on Sunday rejected a local media report that said it was working to repatriate Australians in a ​Syrian camp holding families of suspected Daesh militants. The 34 women and children were released on Monday from the camp in northern Syria, but returned to the detention center due to technical reasons. The group is expected to travel to ‌Damascus before eventually returning ‌to Australia, despite ​objections from ‌ruling ⁠and ​opposition lawmakers.
On ⁠Sunday, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke rejected claims made in a report in the Sunday Telegraph, asserting that official preparations were under way for the cohort’s return.
“In that report, it makes a claim that ⁠we are conducting a repatriation. We are ‌not,” Burke told ‌Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.
“It claims ​we have been ‌meeting with the states for the purposes of ‌a repatriation. We have not,” Burke added. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who leads Australia’s Labour Party, said this week his government would not help ‌the group return to Australia.
The return of relatives of suspected Daesh ⁠militants ⁠is a political issue in Australia, which has seen a surge in popularity of the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party led by Pauline Hanson.
Daesh, the Sunni Muslim militant group, is listed as a terrorist organization in Australia, with membership of the group punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Australia also has the power to ​strip dual nationals ​of citizenship if they are a Daesh member.