Professional Fighters League launches an MMA division in Australia and New Zealand

This photo provided by Professional Fighters League, shows, from left, PFL Managing Director International James Frewin, CEO Pete Murray, Stan Acting Managing Director Dan Taylor, and Stan Director of Sports Ben Kimber. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 13 May 2025
Follow

Professional Fighters League launches an MMA division in Australia and New Zealand

  • The PLF is partnering with the streaming service Stan and Australia’s Nine Network in a broadcasting deal that covers subscription, pay-per-view and free-to-air TV

SYDNEY: The Professional Fighters League has launched a new international division in Australia and New Zealand to showcase mixed martial arts competitors in the Oceania region.

The PFL Pacific was launched in Sydney on Tuesday, expanding the league’s reach into the southern hemisphere.

“It has been a priority of ours to bring the Professional Fighters League to Australia and the Pacific region,” PFL chief executive Peter Murray said in a statement. “With the launch of PFL Pacific, we’re also building a foundation for long-term growth and aiming to crown more Aussie champions than any other league over the next three years.”

The PLF is partnering with the streaming service Stan and Australia’s Nine Network in a broadcasting deal that covers subscription, pay-per-view and free-to-air TV.

The first PFL Pacific tournament will take place next year across four live events featuring regional fighters in single-elimination brackets and using the league’s “win and advance” format.

The PFL Pacific launch was days after it emerged former France and Manchester United player Patrice Evra’s PFL Europe debut scheduled for May 23 had been postponed.

The 43-year-old Evra, who retired from soccer in 2019, has been training in combat alongside MMA star Cedric Doumbe.


FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

  • The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms
FIFA and the ‌Board of Peace signed a partnership agreement on Thursday to attract investment from global leaders and ​institutions for sustainable development in conflict-affected regions through football.
The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms.
The disarmament of ‌Hamas militants ‌and accompanying withdrawal of ​Israeli ‌troops, ⁠the ​size of ⁠the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-torn population are expected to pose significant challenges to the board’s effectiveness in the coming months.
The FIFA collaboration plan includes building 50 mini-pitches ⁠near schools and residential areas ‌in Gaza, five ‌full-size pitches across multiple districts, ​a state-of-the-art FIFA ‌academy and a new 20,000-seat national ‌stadium, FIFA said.
Trump said FIFA will raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza.
“Today, FIFA and the Board of Peace have signed a landmark ‌partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose ⁠of ⁠helping the recovery process in post conflict areas,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
“Together with the support of the Board of Peace, FIFA will drive this partnership which is built to deliver impact at every stage.”
The program will also emphasize job creation, youth participation, organized leagues for boys and girls, ​community engagement and ​the stimulation of local commercial activities, FIFA said.