Sisi: Greece, Egypt set to sign deal to boost ties

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis (L) welcomes Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi (R) before their meeting as part of an official visit in Athens on May 7, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 May 2025
Follow

Sisi: Greece, Egypt set to sign deal to boost ties

  • The two countries seek to step up political coordination to help safeguard stability in the Eastern Mediterranean
  • The leaders were expected to stress respect for international law amid the Gaza war

ATHENS: Greece and Egypt will sign a “strategic partnership” agreement on Wednesday as the two countries seek to step up political coordination to help safeguard stability in the Eastern Mediterranean, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi said.
“Our relations are traditional and historical. We have the basis to enhance this relationship,” said El-Sisi during a televised meeting with Greek President Constantine Tassoulas in Athens. “We will have today the chance to sign a joint declaration for a strategic partnership.”
El-Sisi is due to meet Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, more than a year after they agreed to set up a cooperation board of senior officials from both countries to improve ties. The two leaders were expected to reaffirm their joint stance over the need to respect international law to promote peace in a turbulent region amid the ongoing war in Gaza, a Greek government official said.
Migration was also expected to top the agenda of bilateral talks as European governments have long been worried about the risk of instability in Egypt, a country of 106 million people where economic adversity has pushed increasing numbers to migrate.
Egypt largely shut off irregular migration from its north coast in 2016, but the Greek islands of Crete and Gavdos have seen a steep rise in migrant arrivals, mostly from Afghanistan and Egypt. The European Union last year announced a 7.4 billion euro ($8.40 billion) funding package and an upgraded relationship with Egypt, in part of a push to stem migrant flows from Egypt to Europe.

Last month, its executive arm included Egypt, where human rights have come under scrutiny, on a list of “safe countries” where failed asylum seekers could be returned.


UN seeks $1.6bn to aid nearly 6m people displaced by war in Sudan

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

UN seeks $1.6bn to aid nearly 6m people displaced by war in Sudan

  • Communities in countries hosting refugees have shown ‘remarkable solidarity’ but capacity is being pushed to the brink, says UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric
  • Appeal by UN Refugee Agency and 123 partners aims to fund food, shelter, health care, protection services and other critical support for refugees and host communities

NEW YORK CITY: The UN is seeking $1.6 billion in donations to provide life-saving assistance to 5.9 million people displaced by the conflict in Sudan internally and across seven neighboring countries, as humanitarian needs continue to outpace available resources.

The appeal, launched by the UN Refugee Agency and 123 partner organizations, aims to fund efforts to provide food, shelter, health care, protection services and other critical support for refugees and host communities affected by what the UN describes as an unprecedented displacement crisis.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said communities in countries hosting people fleeing Sudan have shown “remarkable solidarity,” but he warned that their capacity is being pushed to the brink as the conflict between warring military factions, which began in April 2023, drags on.

The funding request marks the fourth consecutive year in which the UN has issued an appeal of this scale for a regional response to the crisis in Sudan, reflecting the persistent shortfalls in humanitarian financing.

In addition to providing emergency assistance, the UN plan aims to promote longer-term solutions, including support for governments to integrate refugees into national systems and expand access to public services, Dujarric said.

He reiterated the UN’s call for stronger international backing of efforts to address chronic underfunding of operations in countries hosting people fleeing Sudan. He also urged all of those involved in the conflict to respect the principles of international humanitarian law.

“We reiterate once again, especially in light of the continued attacks on civilians, that the parties must respect international law and never target civilians, health infrastructure, religious sites, schools and other civilian facilities,” Dujarric said.