McLaren to exit Formula E at end of the season

McLaren took over the British-based team from Mercedes when the German carmaker left at the end of 2022 to focus on Formula One
Short Url
Updated 25 April 2025
Follow

McLaren to exit Formula E at end of the season

  • The reigning Formula One constructors champions said in a statement on Friday that the decision, after three seasons in Formula E with a team racing under the McLaren brand

LONDON: McLaren will leave the all-electric Formula E championship at the end of the 2024-25 season to focus on Formula One, IndyCar and a new hypercar project from 2027 in the World Endurance Championship.
The reigning Formula One constructors champions said in a statement on Friday that the decision, after three seasons in Formula E with a team racing under the McLaren brand, followed a strategic review of activities.
“The time is right to explore other opportunities that more closely align with McLaren Racing’s overall strategic direction — including our 2027 entry into the FIA World Endurance Championship,” said McLaren CEO Zak Brown.
“For now, we are focused on setting this great team up for future success by working toward securing a new owner.”
A Formula E spokesperson raised the possibility of the partnership continuing through next year.
“We recognize that the commercial landscape in motorsport is dynamic and often subject to change,” the spokesperson added. “Despite this development, the team... is already engaged in positive discussions with potential partners and investors.
“We are confident the team will remain a strong presence in the championship, operating under a new identity if required.”
McLaren took over the British-based team from Mercedes when the German carmaker left at the end of 2022 to focus on Formula One.
The team, sponsored by Saudi Arabia’s NEOM, was founded in 2019 and ran separately, under the leadership of Ian James, to McLaren’s Formula One and IndyCar outfits. It is third overall after five rounds.
Formula E puts its global fan base at nearly 400 million.


Norway’s Carlsen wins first FIDE Freestyle World Chess Championship

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Norway’s Carlsen wins first FIDE Freestyle World Chess Championship

Norway’s Magnus Carlsen added ‌another crown to his collection on Sunday by becoming the first official FIDE Freestyle Chess world champion after ​a comeback win over Fabiano Caruana in Germany.
The chess master secured the title with a cautious draw in the fourth and final game, clinching a 2.5–1.5 match victory against his 33-year-old American opponent in Weissenhaus.
Sunday’s turning point came in the thrilling third game, in ‌which Carlsen, ‌35, pulled off a stunning ​win ‌from ⁠a ​seemingly lost ⁠position, swinging the entire contest in his favor.
The world number one only needed a draw in the decisive fourth game, and that’s exactly what he got in an equal endgame, with Caruana missing late opportunities to mount a ⁠comeback.
Carlsen has now won 21 world ‌titles in various formats.

 

The ‌World Championship marked a breakthrough ​collaboration between FIDE and ‌private organizer Freestyle Chess, staging the first ‌officially recognized title in this format.
Carlsen had previously failed to capture the FIDE Fischer Random World Championship, making this victory particularly sweet for the chess great.
In ‌the bronze medal match, Uzbekistan’s Nodirbek Abdusattorov beat Germany’s Vincent Keymer, securing ⁠his spot ⁠by drawing from a winning position in the final game.
Both finalists and Abdusattorov have qualified for next year’s championship.
The tournament’s lower placings saw Hans Niemann of the United States take fifth with a 2-0 victory over India’s Arjun Erigaisi, while Armenia’s Levon Aronian won his Armageddon game against Uzbekistan’s Javokhir Sindarov for seventh place.
In the women’s exhibition match, Kazakhstan’s ​Bibisara Assaubayeva prevailed over ​Switzerland’s Alexandra Kosteniuk after their final encounter ended in a draw.