‘Out of the question’ Pakistan’s Nadeem will attend Bengaluru meet, Indian javelin hero Chopra says

This combination of photos shows Indian Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra (left) and Pakistani Javelin thrower Arshad Nadeem pictured during Paris 2024 Olympic Games at Stade de France in Saint-Denis, Paris, on August 9, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 25 April 2025
Follow

‘Out of the question’ Pakistan’s Nadeem will attend Bengaluru meet, Indian javelin hero Chopra says

  • Chopra had earlier announced world’s top throwers, including Olympian Nadeem, had been invited to first Neeraj Chopra Classic on May 24
  • Tuesday’s attack in Kashmir prompted heavy criticism of Chopra’s decision to invite Nadeem even though he was unlikely to attend

NEW DELHI: India’s Olympic javelin gold medalist Neeraj Chopra said it was now “completely out of the question” that rival Arshad Nadeem of Pakistan will attend his meet in Bengaluru next month following Tuesday’s deadly militant attack in Indian-administered Kashmir.
Relations between nuclear-armed neighbors India and Pakistan have plummeted to their lowest level in years after the killing of 26 tourists on Wednesday.
A day before the attack, Chopra had announced that the world’s top throwers, including Paris Olympics champion Nadeem, had been invited to the first Neeraj Chopra Classic on May 24, an event he hoped would pave the way for a Diamond League meet in India one day.
However, the attack in Kashmir prompted heavy criticism of Chopra’s decision to invite Nadeem, even though it was unlikely the Pakistan thrower was going to attend.

“There has been so much talk about my decision to invite Arshad Nadeem to compete in the Neeraj Chopra Classic, and most of it has been hate and abuse,” Chopra, who won gold in Tokyo and silver in Paris, said in a social media post on Friday.
“The invitation I extended to Arshad was from one athlete to another — nothing more, nothing less. The aim of the NC Classic was to bring the best athletes to India and for our country to be the home of world-class sporting events.
“After all that has taken place over the last 48 hours, Arshad’s presence at the NC Classic was completely out of the question.”
Media reports said Nadeem, Pakistan’s first individual Olympic gold medalist, had opted not to attend the Bengaluru meet, which clashed with his training schedule for the Asian Championships in South Korea next month.
The soured relations between the two countries also spilled over to the sports world earlier this year when India’s cricket team refused to travel to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy and played all their matches, including the March 9 final, in Dubai.


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.