PM Sharif hopes Tehran punishes culprits who killed 8 Pakistanis in Iran

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif (right) chairs a meeting of the federal Cabinet in Islamabad on April 15, 2025. (PID)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2025
Follow

PM Sharif hopes Tehran punishes culprits who killed 8 Pakistanis in Iran

  • Eight Pakistani nationals were killed in Iran’s Sistan-Baluchestan province on Saturday in attack claimed by separatists
  • Pakistan and Iran have both frequently blamed each other for failing to stamp out militancy in their shared, porous border

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday condemned the recent killing of eight Pakistani nationals in Iran, hoping Tehran would arrest the culprits and hand them stern punishments. 

The Pakistani nationals were killed in the Mehrestan County of Iran’s Sistan-Baluchestan province, which borders Pakistan, on Saturday. The attack was claimed by the Balochistan National Army (BNA), one of several separatist outfits operating in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province. 

Militant groups operate in the area that includes Pakistan’s Balochistan and Iran’s southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan province. Both countries trade blame for militancy in the regions that are restive, mineral-rich and largely underdeveloped. 

“The foreign minister [of Pakistan] has spoken to the foreign minister of Iran and I have also issued a statement,” Sharif told members of his cabinet during a meeting. 

“We should hope that the Irani government will immediately arrest and hand stern punishments to the killers,” he added. 

The Pakistani prime minister condemned the attack in strong words. 

As per media reports, the Pakistani nationals who were killed in the attack were auto mechanics. Thousands of Pakistanis, mostly from underprivileged backgrounds, regularly cross into Iran for informal work in industries such as auto repair, agriculture and construction. 

Balochistan has witnessed a low-level insurgency for nearly two decades. Baloch militant groups such as the BNA accuse the central government of exploiting local resources while neglecting the population.

Islamabad denies the allegations and says it is committed to regional development.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”