Pakistan confirms four nationals killed in latest Libya boat tragedy

This file photo, taken on April 25, 2023, shows boats transporting migrants of different nationalities entering a port in the Garabulli area following their rescue at sea by the Libyan Coast Guard. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan confirms four nationals killed in latest Libya boat tragedy

  • Vessel carrying foreign nationals sunk near Harawa coast in Libya’s Sirte City, says foreign office
  • Each year, thousands of Pakistanis pay large sums for illegal journeys to developed countries

ISLAMABAD: The foreign office spokesperson on Tuesday confirmed four Pakistanis have been killed in a shipwreck near the coast of eastern Libya, adding that more information is being collected about the affected nationals. 

Pakistan’s mission in Tripoli reported that a vessel carrying foreign nationals sunk near the Harawa coast in Sirte City, the foreign office spokesperson said.

The statement said a Pakistan embassy team’s visit to Sirte City confirmed 11 bodies of migrants have been recovered from the shipwreck. 

“Of these, 4 have been identified as Pakistani nationals based on their national documents,” the spokesperson said. “Two bodies remain unidentified.”

The statement identified Zahid Mehmood, Sameer Ali, Syed Ali Hussain and Asad Ali as the four victims of the shipwreck. Three of the victims hailed from Pakistan’s eastern city of Mandi Bahauddin while Mehmood belonged to Gujranwala, as per details shared by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“The Embassy in Tripoli is actively working to gather more information about the affected Pakistani nationals and is in contact with the local authorities,” the spokesperson said. 

The statement said Pakistan’s foreign affairs ministry has activated its Crisis Management Unit to monitor the situation. 

Each year, thousands of Pakistanis pay large sums for risky and illegal journeys to developed countries, hoping to find work and send money back to their families. 

Libyan authorities recovered the bodies of at least 16 Pakistani nationals who had died in a shipwreck near the coast of Libya in February this year, while nearly 10 other Pakistani citizens were missing.

The boat had capsized near the port of Marsa Dela in the northwest of Zawiya city in the Arab country. 

In 2023, hundreds of migrants, including 262 Pakistanis, drowned when an overcrowded vessel capsized and sank in international waters off the southwestern Greek coastal town of Pylos. It was one of the deadliest boat disasters ever recorded in the Mediterranean Sea.

Pakistan has cracked down and arrested several human traffickers for arranging these dangerous, illegal sea journeys for Pakistani citizens.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.