Pakistan calls for Gaza ceasefire at OIC meeting

A woman looks on from inside her tent at the Jabalia camp for displaced Palestinians in the northern Gaza Strip on April 8, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan calls for Gaza ceasefire at OIC meeting

  • Pakistan seeks lifting of Israel’s blockade to allow unimpeded humanitarian access across Gaza
  • It reaffirms commitment to working with OIC countries to advance the interests of the Muslim world

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan called for the immediate implementation of a Gaza ceasefire on Tuesday during an Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) ambassador-level meeting in New York, according to a social media post by the country’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations.
The war in Gaza, which began in October 2023 following Hamas’ attacks, has continued despite repeated international appeals for a ceasefire. The Palestinian death toll has reportedly surpassed 50,000, with women and children making up a significant portion of the casualties.
Pakistan, which does not recognize Israel, has consistently supported the Palestinian demand for an independent state based on pre-1967 borders. It has repeatedly raised concerns over the Gaza conflict at various global forums, including the UN Security Council, and has called for a ceasefire and accountability for Israel’s actions.




Pakistan's Permanent Representative to the UN, Asim Iftikhar Ahmad (center), speaks at the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) ambassador-level meeting in New York, US, on April 8, 2025. (Radio Pakistan)

“Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad, Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations, participated in the OIC Ambassadorial-level meeting held today,” Pakistan’s UN mission said in a social media post.
“In his remarks, Ambassador Asim reaffirmed Pakistan’s unwavering support for the Palestinian cause, including the immediate and full implementation of the Gaza ceasefire, lifting of the blockade, unimpeded humanitarian access throughout Gaza, and an end to forced displacement and colonization, including in the West Bank,” the post added.
The OIC meeting also reviewed the situation in Palestine and Syria, and heard briefings from the foreign ministers of Bahrain and Kyrgyzstan regarding their respective candidatures for non-permanent seats on the UN Security Council for the 2026–27 and 2027–28 terms.
The Pakistani mission said the country remained committed to working closely with other OIC member states to advance common causes and the collective interests of the Muslim Ummah.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”