Hostage families, anti-government protesters rally in Tel Aviv

A drone view shows Sunday’s protest against Israeli government’s moves to fire the attorney general and the Shin Bet chief. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 23 March 2025
Follow

Hostage families, anti-government protesters rally in Tel Aviv

  • At the same time, families and supporters of the 59 hostages still held in Gaza have vented their anger at what many have seen as the government’s abandonment of their loved ones

TEL AVIV: Israeli protesters took to the streets for a sixth day on Sunday amid reports Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Cabinet  passed a vote of no confidence  in the attorney general, in its latest move against officials deemed hostile to the government.
However, any dismissal could be months away.
Tens of thousands of Israelis have joined demonstrations in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv over the past week, as fears for Israeli hostages after a resumption of the bombing campaign in Gaza and anger at moves to sack the head of the domestic intelligence agency have brought different protest groups together.
The removal of Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, approved by Cabinet last week, was set to be followed by a no-confidence motion against attorney general Gali Baharav-Miara, who has frequently clashed with the current government.
Israeli media reported last week that the Cabinet would hold a no-confidence motion against Baharav-Miara, a former district attorney appointed under previous Prime Minister Naftali Bennett.
The moves against the two officials have drawn accusations from protesters and the opposition that Netanyahu’s right-wing government is undermining key state institutions.
At the same time, families and supporters of the 59 hostages still held in Gaza have vented their anger at what many have seen as the government’s abandonment of their loved ones.
“We are here to make it clear that Israel is a democracy and will remain a democracy,” said 46-year-old Uri Ash, who was taking part in a protest in Tel Aviv.
“We will overtake this government because it is ruining Israel,” he said.
Although the protest groups have different priorities, they have built on mass demonstrations before the Gaza war that were unleashed by the right-wing government’s moves to curb the power of the Supreme Court.
Netanyahu said that, at the time, the overhaul was needed to rein in judicial overreach that was intruding on the authority of parliament, but protesters said it was an attempt to weaken one of the pillars of Israeli democracy.
Earlier this month, Justice Minister Yariv Levin initiated moves to dismiss Baharav-Miara, accusing her of politicizing her office and obstructing the government.
In practice, any step to remove the attorney general will likely face administrative hurdles and an appeals process that could delay it for months.
But the reports, which the prime minister’s office declined to confirm, have added fuel to the protests, echoing the same accusations made over Bar’s dismissal.
Cabinet approved Bar’s dismissal despite objections from Baharav-Miara, but a temporary injunction from the Supreme Court has held up the move.
Late on Saturday, Netanyahu issued a video statement defending the dismissal of Bar and rejecting accusations that the sacking was aimed at thwarting a Shin Bet investigation into allegations of financial ties between Qatar and aides in the prime minister’s office.
Instead, he said, the Shin Bet probe into the affair was launched as a means of delaying Bar’s expected resignation over intelligence failures that allowed the devastating attack on Israel on Oct 7, 2023, to take place.

 


Libya brings in Western traders in blow to Russian fuel flows

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Libya brings in Western traders in blow to Russian fuel flows

  • The tenders will further reduce Russian product imports into Libya
  • Russian fuel exports to Libya have fallen to around 5,000 bpd in 2026 from 56,000 bpd in 2024–2025

LONDON: Global oil firms and traders including Vitol, Trafigura and TotalEnergies have won tenders to supply Libya with gasoline and diesel as the country grants large Western players wider access and reduces imports of Russian fuel, three trading sources told Reuters.
Libya is in the process of overhauling its oil sector 15 years after the fall of leader Muammar Qaddafi and years of civil wars.
The country produces some 1.4 million barrels a day of crude but lacks the infrastructure to refine it, leaving it reliant on fuel imports.
After issuing upstream licensing rounds for the first time in 20 years in an effort to grow crude output to 2 million bpd, Africa’s second-largest oil producer is now changing how it sells its oil ⁠and buys the ⁠fuel it requires.
Rather than swapping fuel imports for crude exports, it has instead awarded tenders to cover its fuel needs.
In the tenders in recent weeks, which have not previously been reported, Vitol won the rights to supply 5-10 gasoline cargoes a month and some diesel volumes, three traders familiar with the results said.
Trafigura and TotalEnergies also won the right to supply fuel, two of the three traders said. Reuters could not establish the exact volumes.
Vitol, Trafigura, and TotalEnergies declined to ⁠comment. Libya’s state-owned National Oil Corporation did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the tenders.

RUSSIAN IMPORTS DROPPING
The tenders will further reduce Russian product imports into Libya as Western firms source their volumes from refineries in the Mediterranean.
Russian fuel exports to Libya have fallen to around 5,000 bpd in 2026 from 56,000 bpd in 2024–2025, when it was the dominant supplier, according to live data from global analytics firm Kpler.
Italy has become Libya’s top fuel supplier this year with 59,000 bpd, mainly from the ISAB and Sarroch refineries run by Trafigura and Vitol, the Kpler data showed.
Moscow has relied heavily on Africa, Asia and South America for fuel sales after its refined products were banned from the West under sanctions linked to the war in Ukraine. The ⁠Kremlin has also seen ⁠its oil exports to India and Turkiye fall under US pressure, pushing more oil toward China.
Overall fuel exports into Libya from all sources have averaged around 186,000 bpd since the start of 2024.

FIRMS ALSO GAIN ACCESS TO CRUDE EXPORTS
Libya will also change the way it handles crude exports, the sources said.
Swiss-based trading firm BGN, previously a key exporter, will see crude liftings fall sharply, all three traders said, as big Western players will be allocated export rights.
Small Swiss-based trader Transmed Trading also picked up several crude cargoes in January and will keep lifting volumes in coming months, two of the three sources said.
Transmed and BGN did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Libya also signed a 25-year oil-development deal with TotalEnergies and ConocoPhillips in January, involving more than $20 billion in foreign-financed investment.