Japan’s worst wildfire in 50 years brought under control
Japan’s worst wildfire in 50 years brought under control /node/2593037/world
Japan’s worst wildfire in 50 years brought under control
This photo taken on March 5, 2025 and released on March 6 by Japan's Fire and Disaster Management Agency shows firefighters battling a wildfire in Ofunato city of Iwate Prefecture. (AFP)
Japan’s worst wildfire in 50 years brought under control
The fire engulfed about 2,900 hectares (7,170 acres) — around half the size of Manhattan — making it Japan’s largest in more than 50 years
Updated 10 March 2025
AFP
TOKYO: Japan’s worst wildfire in more than half a century, which killed at least one person, has been brought under control, the mayor of the northern city of Ofunato said on Sunday.
The fire had raged in the mountains around the rural region since February 26, killing at least one person, damaging at least 210 buildings and forcing more than 4,200 residents to flee their homes, local officials said.
“Following an aerial survey, we assessed that the fire no longer posed the risk of further spread. I declare that the fire is now under control,” Ofunato Mayor Kiyoshi Fuchigami told a news conference.
The fire engulfed about 2,900 hectares (7,170 acres) — around half the size of Manhattan — making it Japan’s largest in more than 50 years.
It surpassed the 2,700 hectares burnt by a 1975 fire on Hokkaido island.
Wet weather that began on Wednesday following a record dry period helped firefighting efforts.
Japan endured its hottest summer on record last year as climate change pushes up temperatures worldwide.
Ofunato received just 2.5 millimeters (0.1 inch) of rainfall in February, breaking the previous record low for the month of 4.4 millimeters in 1967 and far below the average of 41 millimeters.
The number of wildfires in Japan has declined since a peak in the 1970s.
Wildfires in Japan tend to occur between February and May, when the air dries out and winds pick up. There have been around 1,300 a year in recent years.
Peru to elect interim leader after graft scandal ousts president
Jose Jeri was accused in the irregular hiring of several women in his governmen
Lawmakers will choose a new parliament speaker who will lead the country until July 28
Updated 6 sec ago
AFP
LIMA: Peru’s Congress is set to elect an interim president on Wednesday to replace Jose Jeri, who was impeached in a graft scandal just four months after taking office. Jeri, 39, was accused in the irregular hiring of several women in his government, and of suspected graft involving a Chinese businessman. The new interim president will be Peru’s eighth head of state in 10 years, after the Latin American country burned through a string of leaders who were impeached or investigated for wrongdoing. Lawmakers will choose a new parliament speaker who will lead the country until July 28, when the next president elected in national polls takes office. Jeri himself became president following the impeachment of his predecessor Dina Boluarte in October. The vote, which is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. (2300 GMT), will end a power vacuum of more than 24 hours, unprecedented in the country’s recent history. Four members of Congress have thrown their hat in the ring for the top job: former Congress president Maria del Carmen Alva, left-wing congressman Jose Balcazar, veteran socialist Edgar Raymundo, and Hector Acuna, whose party is tainted by corruption scandals. Alva is one of the favorites to win the vote. Jeri is constitutionally barred from running. Peru’s chronic political instability has seen four of its past seven presidents impeached, and two resigning before suffering the same fate. Only one completed his intended term, centrist academic Francisco Sagasti. Congress voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to impeach Jeri, who was serving as interim president after massive protests last year ousted Boluarte, Peru’s first woman leader who served for only 22 months. The new interim president will serve out the remainder of Jeri’s term. A new leader will then take over following elections on April 12. ‘True leader’ Paula Jimenez, a 22-year-old saleswoman in the Peruvian capital Lima, said the political crisis was “secondary” compared to the everyday problems of ordinary people. She accused parliament of focusing on internal squabbles rather than the concerns of Peruvians. Peru has been gripped by a wave of extortion that has claimed dozens of lives, high levels of post-pandemic poverty and unemployment, and the domestic rise of gangs such as Venezuela’s Tren de Aragua. Edgardo Torres, a 29-year-old industrial engineer from Lima, said Peru needed “a true leader” to bring some much-needed political stability. Prosecutors last week opened an investigation into whether Jeri “exercised undue influence” in government appointments. Jeri has protested his innocence. He found himself in the spotlight over claims revealed by investigative TV program Cuarto Poder that five women were improperly given jobs in the president’s office and the environment ministry after meeting with Jeri. Prosecutors said there were in fact nine women. Jeri is also under investigation for alleged “illegal sponsorship of interests” following a secret meeting with a Chinese businessman with commercial ties with the government.