Pakistan says privatization of PIA to be completed in three months 

The Pakistani state carrier resumed its Europe operations with a flight to Paris on Jan. 10, marking the end of a four-year ban imposed by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) over flight safety concerns. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 March 2025
Follow

Pakistan says privatization of PIA to be completed in three months 

  • Pakistan is looking to offload 51-100 percent stake in PIA, part of reforms under $7 billion IMF bailout program 
  • Pakistan hopes new European routes and flying approval to the UK will boost PIA’s selling potential

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Privatization Abdul Aleem Khan said on Thursday the privatization process of loss-making national carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) would be completed in three months. 

Cash-strapped Pakistan is looking to offload a 51-100 percent stake in debt-ridden PIA to raise funds and reform state-owned enterprises as envisaged under a $7 billion International Monetary Fund program approved last year. A final bidding process for the airline’s privatization last October attracted just one bid of $36 million for a 60 percent stake in the national flag carrier. The government had pre-qualified six groups in June, but only real-estate development company Blue World City participated in the bidding process, placing a bid that is below the government-set minimum price of 85 billion Pakistani rupees.

Among concerns raised by potential bidders for the PIA stake include policy continuity, honoring contracts, inconsistent government communication, unattractive terms and taxes on the sector, and the flag carrier’s legacy issues and reputation.

Officials say PIA’s cumulative losses alone are close to $3 billion, with the total asset valuation of the airline standing at approximately $572 million.

“Federal Minister further mentioned that to make PIA’s privatization more attractive, a new roadmap is being provided and it is expected that all stages of this privatization process will be completed within the next three months,” Khan’s office said in a statement after he met the Australian High Commissioner to Pakistan and discussed the privatization of PIA. 

Last year, PIA resumed operations in Europe, after a 2020 ban by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) over concerns about the ability of Pakistani authorities and its Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA) to ensure compliance with international aviation standards. EASA and UK authorities both suspended permission for PIA to operate in the region after Pakistan began investigating the validity of pilots’ licenses following a deadly plane crash that killed 97 people.

Pakistan hopes new European routes and flying approval to the UK will boost PIA’s selling potential.

“The privatization minister emphasized that there is an expectation of better expressions of interest from investors this time around as the introduction of PIA flights to Europe has made the privatization environment even more lucrative and favorable,” the statement said. “Due to recent measures, the national airline is ready to become profitable again.”

Khan added that PIA flights to the UK would also begin in three months. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”