UK and EU members of UN Security Council urge Israel to allow aid into Gaza

Jay Dharmadhikari, the charge d’affaires at the French mission to the UN, speaks on behalf of the four nations at the UN. (Screenshot)
Short Url
Updated 06 March 2025
Follow

UK and EU members of UN Security Council urge Israel to allow aid into Gaza

  • UK, France, Greece, Denmark and Slovenia welcome Arab cohesion on future of Gaza, call for progress in peace talks and release of hostages
  • Plea echoes appeal by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at the Arab summit in Cairo on Monday

NEW YORK CITY: The UK and the four EU countries that are members of the UN Security Council (France, Greece, Denmark and Slovenia) on Wednesday urged Israeli authorities to immediately allow the safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Their plea echoed an appeal by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at the Arab summit in Cairo on Monday.

Speaking on behalf of the five nations, Jay Dharmadhikari, the charge d’affaires at the French mission to the UN said: “We call on Israel to abide by its obligations under international law and to allow and facilitate the safe, unconditional, massive and unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid at scale, as well as to ensure the protection of civilians and other protected persons, including humanitarian workers, in line with international humanitarian law.”

The diplomats also called for progress in the next phases of the ceasefire agreement and hostage-release deal between Israel and Hamas, and commended the efforts by Egypt, Qatar and the US to facilitate negotiations.

The joint statement followed a Security Council consultation session on Resolution 2720, which included a briefing by Sigrid Kaag, the UN’s senior humanitarian and reconstruction coordinator for Gaza. Adopted by the Security Council in December 2023, Resolution 2720 calls for increased aid to address the crisis in Gaza, including the provisioning of fuel, food and medical supplies.

The five nations condemned Hamas for continuing to hold and mistreat hostages, and called for their immediate release.

“We need a permanent ceasefire that can pave the way for the release of all remaining hostages and for the reconstruction of Gaza,” Dharmadhikari added.

The countries denounced terrorism and reaffirmed that the delivery of humanitarian aid must be nonnegotiable principle under international humanitarian law.

They also welcomed regional efforts to form a cohesive plan for the future of Gaza, emphasizing that any plans must exclude Hamas, ensure the security of Israel, and avoid the displacement of Palestinians.

It must also align with Resolution 2735 and support the unity of the West Bank and Gaza under the mandate of the Palestinian Authority, they added. US-drafted Resolution 2735, which was adopted by the Security Council in June last year, represents a proposal for a three-phase ceasefire agreement to end the war.

“We stand ready to support and develop these ideas further,” Dharmadhikari said.

The diplomats also reiterated their unwavering, long-term commitment to the vision of a two-state solution, consistent with international law and UN resolutions, in which Israel and Palestine can live peacefully side by side with secure, recognized borders.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 8 min 41 sec ago
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.