Trump threatens funding cut to colleges allowing ‘illegal protests’

Republican presidential nominee former President Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza, Saturday, Aug. 17, 2024, in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 March 2025
Follow

Trump threatens funding cut to colleges allowing ‘illegal protests’

  • The US government does not control either privately or publicly funded schools or colleges, although a president has a limited ability to encourage policy goals via federal funding disbursed through the US Department of Education

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said he wanted to cut the federal funding of colleges that allow what he called “illegal protests” in a social media post that civil rights groups called an attack on the freedoms of speech and assembly.
The post on Tuesday appeared to repeat some of the ideas of executive orders he issued during his first term, in 2019, and on January 29, which described the pro-Palestinian student protest movement that swept college campuses last year as antisemitic.
“All federal funding will STOP for any College, School or University that allows illegal protests,” Trump wrote on social media. “Agitators will be imprisoned/or permanently sent back to the country from which they came. American students will be permanently expelled or, depending on the crime, arrested. NO MASKS!“
A spokesperson for Trump did not respond to questions about how the White House would define an illegal protest or how the government would imprison protesters. The US Constitution’s First Amendment protects the freedom of speech and assembly.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, a non-profit group, said on Tuesday that Trump’s threat was “deeply chilling” and would make students “fear punishment for wholly protected political speech.”
“The president can’t force institutions to expel students,” the statement said.
The US government does not control either privately or publicly funded schools or colleges, although a president has a limited ability to encourage policy goals via federal funding disbursed through the US Department of Education.
Trump’s executive order in January restored a similar order he signed in 2019, instructing the Department of Education to investigate colleges that receive federal funding if they failed to protect Jewish students and staff from antisemitism.
Trump has also told Secretary of State Marco Rubio that he wants non-citizen protesters admitted to the US on student visas to be deported.
Protesters set up tent encampments on college campuses across the US and around the world last year as conflict raged in Gaza. Many of the protests centered on their school’s investments in companies that they said supported Israel’s military occupation of Palestinian territories.
Both some of those protests and some pro-Israel counter-protests involved incidents and allegations of antisemitism, Islamophobia and anti-Arab bias. Protest leaders, which include some Jewish students and faculty, say they are opposed to Israel, but reject allegations that their movement is antisemitic.

 


Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

  • Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine

MOSCOW: President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that developing Russia’s nuclear forces was now an “absolute priority” following the expiry of its last remaining nuclear treaty with the US.
“The development of the nuclear triad, which guarantees Russia’s security and ensures effective strategic deterrence and a balance of forces in the world, remains an absolute priority,” Putin said in a video message.
His speech came on Russia’s “Defender of the Fatherland Day,” a holiday that is an occasion for military pomp and Kremlin-sponsored patriotism.
Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine.
All branches of the armed forces would be improved, he said, including their “combat readiness, their mobility, and their ability to operate in all conditions, even the most difficult.”
Putin’s remarks came just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s assault on Ukraine that sparked a war that has shattered towns, uprooted millions and killed large numbers on both sides.
Moscow and Washington — the world’s two main nuclear powers — are no longer bound by any arms control pact since the New START agreement expired earlier this month.
But Russia said it would continue taking a “responsible” approach to strategic nuclear capability and respecting the limits set on its arsenal.