Ad campaign launched to dissuade Iraqis from entering UK illegally

UK Border Force officials travel in a RIB with migrants picked up at sea whilst Crossing the English Channel, as they arrive at the Marina in Dover, southeast England on August 15, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 March 2025
Follow

Ad campaign launched to dissuade Iraqis from entering UK illegally

  • Social media-driven campaign will warn people of dangers of crossing English Channel
  • Home Office: Total of 36,816 people crossed last year, including more than 2,000 Iraqis

London: An advert campaign will be launched in Iraq to dissuade people from traveling illegally to the UK, the BBC reported on Tuesday.

Thousands of migrants have made the dangerous journey across the English Channel since 2018, with 592 doing so on Sunday alone, according to the UK Home Office.

Many of the trips are facilitated by criminal gangs, and the crossings can often lead to accidents and fatalities.

The new campaign will be aimed primarily at people in semi-autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan, and will be spread via social media, apps and websites.

The Home Office previously launched similar adverts in Albania and Vietnam. One advert featured an image of an upturned dinghy, alongside quotes from people who had previously risked the crossing, including “the boat was too crowded” and “people disappeared into the sea.”

Another advert quoted a female migrant as saying: “I was promised a well-paid job. Instead I was a slave.”

Home Office Minister Dame Angela Eagle said: “Ruthless criminal gangs spread dangerous lies on social media to exploit people for money, and we are exposing them using the real stories of their victims.”

UK Border Security Commander Martin Hewitt said during a trip to Iraq last week: “Our international campaign is sending a clear message to prospective migrants that these criminals cannot be trusted.”

A spokesperson for the Refugee Council told the BBC that people suffering enough to flee their homes in the first place would be unlikely to be dissuaded by a social media advert campaign.

At least 2,716 people have made the trip to the UK across the Channel so far this year, a 20 percent rise from the same period in 2024, according to the Home Office. A total of 36,816 people crossed last year, including more than 2,000 Iraqis.


More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

  • Arrests by Israelis accompanied by extensive field interrogation

RAMALLAH: Israeli forces have detained more than 100 Palestinians from the West Bank since the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, including women, children, and former prisoners, the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society reported on Sunday.

The organization said the detentions coincided with Israel’s announcement of the intensification of such actions during Ramadan, with recent settler attacks providing cover for widespread detentions across most West Bank governorates, including Jerusalem. Many detainees from Jerusalem have been barred from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque.

A statement pointed out that arrests by Israelis are accompanied by extensive field interrogation which often targets all sections of Palestinian society.

Documented violations accompanying detentions include severe beatings, organized terror campaigns against detainees and their families, destruction and looting of homes, confiscation of vehicles, money and gold, demolition of family homes, use of family members as hostages, employment of prisoners as human shields, and extrajudicial executions.

The society stressed that Israel exploits detention campaigns to expand settlement activity in the West Bank, with settlers serving as a key tool to impose a new reality.

The Palestinian Detainees Affairs Commission has revealed harrowing details of the abuses faced by Palestinian prisoner Mohammed Wajih Mahamid from Jenin during his incarceration in Israeli prisons.

The commission said that on Nov. 15, 2023, Mahamid was severely beaten on his right knee with a baton used by prison guards, causing a serious injury that left him unable to walk without crutches.

He was beaten again on the same knee on March 29, 2025, resulting in severe swelling which was later confirmed to be a fracture. Despite his condition, the prison authorities only provided painkillers and refused to transfer him to hospital, maintaining a policy of deliberate medical neglect.

The commission stressed that these abuses reflected the harsh reality faced by Palestinian detainees, who are deprived of basic human rights, medical treatment and care.