Cholera kills 15 in western Ethiopia: health official

A cholera outbreak in western Ethiopia has killed 15 people and struck more than 200 people this month, a regional health official said Friday, appealing for more medicine. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2025
Follow

Cholera kills 15 in western Ethiopia: health official

  • “Fifteen people have died, and we have 234 cases since the beginning of February,” said Gillo
  • “The situation is not yet under control and we don’t have enough medication currently”

ADDIS ABABA: A cholera outbreak in western Ethiopia has killed 15 people and struck more than 200 people this month, a regional health official said Friday, appealing for more medicine.
Several regions of Ethiopia and other African countries have been fighting cholera outbreaks in recent weeks, including Sudan and Angola.
“Fifteen people have died, and we have 234 cases since the beginning of February,” Nigiw Gillo, an emergencies manager in the Gambella region health bureau, told AFP.
“The situation is not yet under control and we don’t have enough medication currently, and we are asking our partners to provide.”
Cholera causes severe diarrhea, vomiting and muscle cramps, and is generally contracted by eating or drinking food or water that is contaminated with the bacterium, according to the World Health Organization.
It said the number of reported cholera cases rose by 13 percent in 2023 from a year earlier, with deaths from the disease surging by more than 70 percent.
Cholera killed 4,000 people in 2024, despite being “preventable and easily treatable,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said last year.


Three dead in latest US strike on alleged drug boat: Pentagon

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Three dead in latest US strike on alleged drug boat: Pentagon

WASHINGTON: US forces on Friday launched a strike against alleged drug traffickers in the Eastern Pacific, killing three people, the military said.
“Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations” along an apparent narco-trafficking route, the US Southern Command posted on X, adding that “three male narco-terrorists were killed during this action.”
The US began targeting alleged smuggling boats in early September, killing nearly 150 people in total and destroying dozens of vessels since then.