Real Madrid’s Bellingham banned for two matches after dissent

Real Madrid's Jude Bellingham was hit with a two-match La Liga ban on Wednesday by the Spanish football federation's disciplinary committee after he was sent off for dissent. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 February 2025
Follow

Real Madrid’s Bellingham banned for two matches after dissent

  • The England international was dismissed during the champions’ 1-1 draw at Osasuna
  • The disciplinary committee said Madrid’s attempts to show that Bellingham had not insulted the official were “insufficient”

MADRID: Real Madrid’s Jude Bellingham was hit with a two-match La Liga ban on Wednesday by the Spanish football federation’s disciplinary committee after he was sent off for dissent.
The England international was dismissed during the champions’ 1-1 draw at Osasuna on Saturday by referee Jose Munuera Montero.
Bellingham, who insisted he had been expressing his frustration and not insulting the referee, will miss league matches against Girona and Real Betis on February 23 and March 2 respectively.
The disciplinary committee said Madrid’s attempts to show that Bellingham had not insulted the official were “insufficient” to remove “the presumption of veracity of the referee’s report.”
Bellingham had said his dismissal was due to a misunderstanding.

“I think you can see clearly in the video, I remember the incident very well, it was an expression (I was saying) to myself,” said the 21-year-old.
“I’m not even directing myself toward the referee, but obviously there was a misunderstanding. He’s believed that I’ve said (something insulting) to him.”
A Real Madrid source told AFP the club will appeal the decision.
Referee Munuera Montero has faced online abuse and threats in the days since sending off Bellingham, which the federation described as “repulsive.”
Real Madrid have attacked Spanish refereeing in recent weeks, calling it “rigged” in a letter they sent to the federation and published on their website.
Los Blancos have not won in their last three league games and rivals Barcelona now lead the table on goal difference.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”