Swiatek tops Rybakina to reach Qatar Open semifinals

Poland's Iga Swiatek (L) greets Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina after winning the 2025 WTA Qatar Open quarter-final tennis match at the Khalifa International Tennis Complex in Doha on February 13, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2025
Follow

Swiatek tops Rybakina to reach Qatar Open semifinals

  • Ekaterina Alexandrova continued her impressive form against sixth seed Jessica Pegula, winning 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
  • After the exits of Rybakina and Pegula, Swiatek is the last survivor among the Doha seeds

DOHA: Three-time defending champion Iga Swiatek advanced to the semifinals of the Qatar Open on Thursday with a straight-sets win over last year’s runner-up Elena Rybakina.

Second seed Swiatek staved off a fightback from the fifth-seeded Kazakh in the second set to win 6-2, 7-5.

Ekaterina Alexandrova continued her impressive form against sixth seed Jessica Pegula, winning 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, having eliminated world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka in the second round.

After the exits of Rybakina and Pegula, Swiatek is the last survivor among the Doha seeds.

“I’m super happy and proud of myself, in the second set I felt she lifted her level,” said Swiatek.

She next plays Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko who eased past Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur, a former world No. 2, 6-2, 6-2.

“I need to be prepared for some tricky shots, but I have some myself,” added five-time Grand Slam winner Swiatek, who is bidding for a 23rd WTA title but first since the French Open in June.

Swiatek easily won the first set against Rybakina after breaking her rival’s serve twice.

But the Pole was broken at the start of the second and struggled to catch up for a long time, missing five break points before finally finding the opening to get back to 4-4.

A break at 6-5 in favor of Swiatek, sealed by a double fault from Rybakina, secured victory for the Pole.

Alexandrova, ranked 26th, extended her winning run to eight matches following her triumph in Linz, Austria at the start of the month.

The Russian struggled in the first set against Pegula, twice dropping serve and paying for four double faults.

But she took control thereafter and allowed her opponent just two more games as she eased through to the last four.

“I just play every single match and every single point and I don’t think about the future,” said the 30-year-old, who is hunting a sixth career title.

She will meet Amanda Anisimova for a place in the final after the American beat Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk 4-6, 7-5, 6-4

“It’s step by step and I am glad that policy is working out as I feel amazing. Being in semis is just great,” said Alexandrova.

“When I saw the draw I thought maybe I will not get very far.

“I’m really happy with the way I’m playing right now. And I want to keep it as long as possible — no matter what.”


Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

  • Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
  • Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue

MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”