Pakistan arrests medical officer for falsifying autopsy report in blasphemy case killing

The undated picture shows Dr. Shah Nawaz Kumbhar. (X/@MushRajpar)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2025
Follow

Pakistan arrests medical officer for falsifying autopsy report in blasphemy case killing

  • Dr. Muntazir Mehdi allegedly tried to conceal evidence of torture in Dr. Shahnawaz Kunbhar’s postmortem report
  • Dr. Kunbhar was accused of sharing blasphemous content on social media, though he denied the charge 

KARACHI: Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has arrested a medical officer in Mirpurkhas for allegedly tampering with the autopsy report of a doctor killed in a suspected extrajudicial police shooting after being accused of blasphemy, the agency said on Wednesday.

The arrest is part of an ongoing probe into the killing of Dr. Shahnawaz Kunbhar, a physician who was shot dead in what authorities initially described as a police encounter, but which was later proven by a high-level police inquiry to have been a staged killing while he was in custody.

The FIA said in a statement the police officials implicated in the case were investigated on charges of murder, terrorism and torture.

“The FIA Mirpurkhas has carried out a major operation and arrested medico-legal officer Dr. Muntazir Mehdi,” the agency said in a statement.

“The arrested suspect is accused of concealing evidence of torture in the post-mortem report,” it added. “He was taken into custody in Mirpurkhas, and investigations have begun.”

The statement said further arrests were expected as part of the probe, and all available resources were being used to track down those involved.

Dr. Kunbhar, a government doctor in Sindh’s Umerkot district, was accused of sharing blasphemous content on social media in September 2024, though he denied the charge and said that his account had been hacked.

After facing threats from religious groups, he went into hiding but was later arrested. A day after being taken into custody, police claimed he was killed in an exchange of fire while allegedly trying to escape.

Rights groups and his family dismissed the police version, however, alleging he was tortured and executed in custody. A subsequent inquiry by the Sindh Human Rights Commission found that Kunbhar had been killed in a staged encounter, and his body bore signs of severe torture.

The case sparked protests across Sindh, with civil society and legal activists demanding accountability.

The incident also brought Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy laws under renewed scrutiny, with rights organizations calling for legal reforms to prevent their misuse and protect the accused from vigilante violence.

The FIA said its investigation into police officers involved in the case was ongoing, and efforts to apprehend all those responsible were underway.


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.