PARIS: Cycling’s governing body UCI on Friday insisted there were no plans to move September’s world road championships from Rwanda because of the crisis in DR Congo.
“Following the spread of rumors on this subject, the UCI clarifies that no relocation of the 2025 UCI Road World Championships from Rwanda to Switzerland or any other location is planned at this time,” UCI said in a statement.
There has been media speculation in recent days about a possible ‘Plan B’ being studied concerning these first cycling worlds in Africa while the Rwanda-backed armed group M23 is leading an offensive in eastern DR Congo.
“The ongoing conflict is confined to the DRC, and Rwanda remains entirely safe for tourism and business,” the UCI insisted, adding that they were “closely monitoring developments in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and their potential impact on the organization of the UCI Road World Championships.”
“We hope for a swift and peaceful resolution of the situation,” the statement added.
“The UCI wishes to emphasize that sport, and cycling in particular, are powerful ambassadors for peace, friendship, and solidarity.”
Cycling chiefs deny plans to move world championships from Rwanda
https://arab.news/yhxfk
Cycling chiefs deny plans to move world championships from Rwanda
- “UCI clarifies that no relocation of the 2025 UCI Road World Championships from Rwanda to Switzerland or any other location is planned at this time,” UCI said
- “The ongoing conflict is confined to the DRC, and Rwanda remains entirely safe”
Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
- Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
- Neymar remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year
Brazil striker Neymar, who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last five matches.
But Neymar, who has struggled with injuries in recent seasons, remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It may be that when December comes, I’ll want to retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This year is a very important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals for Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.










