Lebanese sensation Hady Habib’s historic journey comes to an end at Australian Open

1 / 2
Lebanon’s Hady Habib reacts during his second round match against France’s Ugo Humbert at the Australian Open — Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Jan. 15, 2025. (Reuters)
2 / 2
Fans hold up Lebanese flags in support of Lebanon’s Hady Habib during his second round match against France’s Ugo Humbert at the Australian Open — Melbourne Park, Melbourne, on Jan. 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 15 January 2025
Follow

Lebanese sensation Hady Habib’s historic journey comes to an end at Australian Open

  • The 26-year-old Houston-born player lost to Frenchman Ugo Humbert in three straight sets (3-6, 4-6, 4-6)
  • A large crowd from the Lebanese community in Australia were present to cheer on Habib

BEIRUT: The journey of Lebanon’s tennis sensation Hady Habib, who on Sunday became the first Lebanese to ever win a Grand Slam match, ended at the Australian Open after he lost to France’s Ugo Humbert on Wednesday.
In front of a large Lebanese audience in Melbourne that enthusiastically supported Habib, the 26-year-old Houston-born player ended what has been portrayed as a historic journey in the Australian Open tournament after losing three straight sets (3-6, 4-6, 4-6) in the second round.
On Sunday, Habib, who is 216th in the ATP singles ranking, made history after defeating in the first round 22-year-old Chinese player Bu Yunchaokete, ranked 65th in the world, 7-6 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (6) to reach the second round, becoming the first Lebanese to win a Grand Slam main draw singles match in the Open Era.

A large crowd from the Lebanese community in Australia were present to cheer on Habib as he challenged an elite player, Humbert, ranked 14th in the world. The clear and obvious difference in experience eventually leaned in favor of the Frenchman.
Habib became the first Lebanese to qualify for one of the four major tennis tournaments, after achieving three consecutive victories in the preliminary rounds by defeating American Patrick Kipson (6-4, 7-6), Taiwan’s Chun-Hsin Tseng (6-4, 7-6) and Frenchman Clement Chedekh (6-4, 3-6, 7-6).
Habib represented Lebanon in the Olympic Games, and lost at Roland Garros to Spanish star Carlos Alcaraz in the first round. He also lost the doubles match with Benjamin Hassan to the Australian duo Matthew Ebden and John Peers.
“It’s absolutely incredible,” he told Arab News earlier this week after his first-round triumph.
“I’m so grateful for their support. I think the Lebanese community, I sort of brought everyone together, and it was really special to win in front of them. Every time I’m playing, there’s a larger and larger crowd. So, yeah, it’s just been amazing,” the 26-year-old said.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”