South Korea confirms Ukraine captured 2 North Korean soldiers

1 / 2
A photograph obtained from the Telegram account of V_Zelenskiy_official shows an alleged North Korean soldier detained by Ukrainian authorities at an undisclosed location in Ukraine, following their capture by the Ukrainian army. (Telegram/V_Zelenskiy_official/AFP)
2 / 2
This undated handout photograph released by the Ukrainian Presidential Press Service on January 11, 2025 shows an alleged North Korean soldier lying in a cell at an undisclosed location in Ukraine. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 January 2025
Follow

South Korea confirms Ukraine captured 2 North Korean soldiers

  • One of the captured soldiers revealed during interrogation that North Korean forces had experienced “significant losses during battle,” South Korea’s National Intelligence Service says

SEOUL: South Korea’s National Intelligence Service (NIS) said Sunday it confirmed Ukraine captured two wounded North Korean soldiers this week in Russia, after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said they were being questioned.
“The NIS, through real-time cooperation with Ukraine’s intelligence agency (SBU) has identified battlefield situations, including the capture of North Korean soldiers, and confirmed that the Ukrainian military captured two North Korean soldiers on January 9 in the Kursk battlefield in Russia,” the NIS said in a statement.
Kyiv, the United States and South Korea have accused nuclear-armed North Korea of sending more than 10,000 soldiers to help Russia fight Ukraine.
Kyiv on Saturday did not present direct evidence that the captured men were North Korean and AFP was unable to independently verify their nationality.
But the South Korean confirmation adds weight to Kyiv’s account, while neither Russia nor North Korea has reacted.
The NIS said one of the captured soldiers revealed during his interrogation that he received military training from Russian forces after arriving there in November.
“He initially believed he was being sent for training, realizing upon arrival in Russia that he had been deployed,” the NIS said.
The soldier said North Korean forces had experienced “significant losses during battle.”
The SBU also said the men had told interrogators they were experienced army soldiers, and one said he was sent to Russia for training, not to fight.
The NIS said it would continue to work with the SBU to share information on North Korean fighters in Ukraine.
 


Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

  • Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected
  • Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries

COPENHAGEN: Norway is relocating some of the around 60 soldiers it has in the Middle East to Norway as well as to other countries in the region on security grounds, a spokesperson for the Norwegian armed forces ⁠said on Friday.
US ⁠President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen, setting a deadline of 10 ⁠to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked.
Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected.
“These are soldiers who have jobs like training local forces and other missions,” Lt. Col. Vegard Finberg from ⁠the Norwegian ⁠Joint Headquarters told Reuters.
“The way the situation is now, it’s not possible for them to do their primary tasks, and that’s why we are relocating them,” he said, adding other nations had made similar moves in recent days.
Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries.