ISLAMABAD: State-run Pakistan International Airlines resumed direct flights to Europe on Friday following a decision by the European Union’s aviation safety agency to lift a four-year ban over safety standards, officials said.
Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif inaugurated the twice-a-week flights to Paris and vowed that PIA will expand its operations to other European countries soon.
The flight from Islamabad was fully booked with more than 300 passengers, the airline said.
Asif said in a speech that the European Union Aviation Safety Agency had imposed the ban on PIA’s operations to Europe because of an “irresponsible statement” by a former aviation minister.
The curb on PIA was imposed in 2020 after 97 people died when a PIA plane crashed in Karachi in southern Pakistan. Then-Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan said an investigation into the crash found that nearly a third of Pakistani pilots had cheated on their pilot’s exams. A government probe later concluded that the crash was caused by pilot error.
The ban caused a loss of nearly $150 million a year in revenue for PIA, officials say.
Meanwhile, the first international flight was scheduled to depart from Gwadar, a new airport in southwestern Pakistan, later Friday. The Chinese-funded airport was inaugurated by Chinese Premier Li Qiang in October.
The airport, Pakistan’s largest, is located in restive southwestern Balochistan province and is part of a massive investment by Beijing that links a deep seaport and airport on the Arabian Sea by road with China.
State-run Pakistan International Airlines resumes direct flights to Europe after EU lifts ban
Short Url
https://arab.news/m3mng
State-run Pakistan International Airlines resumes direct flights to Europe after EU lifts ban
- The curb was imposed in 2020 after 97 people died when a PIA plane crashed in Karachi
- The ban caused a loss of nearly $150 million a year in revenue for the flag carrier
Kremlin: Can’t say yet when new talks on Ukraine will take place
- State news agency TASS earlier reported next talks would be held in Geneva
MOSCOW: Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Friday that he cannot yet confirm when and where a new round of talks on Ukraine will take place.
Earlier on Friday, Russian state news agency TASS reported, citing a source, that next talks would be held in Geneva with the participation of delegations from Russia, Ukraine and the United States.
Earlier on Friday, Russian state news agency TASS reported, citing a source, that next talks would be held in Geneva with the participation of delegations from Russia, Ukraine and the United States.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










