Seoul: South Korean investigators probing a Jeju Air crash which killed 179 people in the worst aviation disaster on its soil said Wednesday they will send one of the retrieved black boxes to the United States for analysis.
The Boeing 737-800 was carrying 181 people from Thailand to South Korea Sunday when it issued a mayday call and belly-landed before hitting a barrier and bursting into flames, killing everyone aboard except two flight attendants pulled from the burning wreckage.
South Korean and US investigators, including from Boeing, have been combing the crash site in southwestern Muan since the disaster.
“The damaged flight data recorder has been deemed unrecoverable for data extraction domestically,” said South Korea’s deputy minister for civil aviation, Joo Jong-wan.
“It was agreed today to transport it to the United States for analysis in collaboration with the US National Transportation Safety Board.”
Joo earlier said both of the plane’s black boxes were retrieved, and for the cockpit voice recorder “the initial extraction has already been completed.”
“Based on this preliminary data, we plan to start converting it into audio format,” he said, meaning investigators would be able to hear the pilots’ final communications.
The second black box, the flight data recorder, “was found with a missing connector,” Joo said.
Officials initially pointed to a bird strike as a possible cause of the disaster, but they have since said the probe was also examining a concrete barrier at the end of the runway, which dramatic video showed the Boeing 737-800 colliding with before bursting into flames.
They also said that a special inspection of all Boeing 737-800 models operated by local carriers was examining their landing gear after questions over a possible mechanical failure in the crash.
The ongoing inspections are “focusing mainly on the landing gear, which failed to deploy properly in this case,” said the director general for aviation safety policy, Yoo Kyeong-soo.
Local media reported the landing gear had deployed properly on Jeju Air Flight 2216’s first failed landing attempt at Muan airport before failing on the second.
The issue “will likely be examined by the Accident Investigation Board through a comprehensive review of various testimonies and evidence during the investigation process,” the ministry of land, which oversees civil aviation, said at a briefing.
At Muan airport, hundreds of people queued up Wednesday — a public holiday in the South — to pay their respects at a memorial altar set up to honor the victims.
So many people came to the memorial that the queue stretched for hundreds of meters and the local cell phone network was overloaded, local media reported.
Local officials sent out a safety alert asking mourners to go to a different memorial, as the one at the airport was too busy. Other altars for the victims have been set up nationwide.
Inside the airport, where families have been camped out since the accident, a medical space has been set up to administer IV drips to grieving relatives, many unable to eat due to stress, an official said during a briefing.
Officials have said the bodies were extensively damaged by the crash, making the work of identifying remains slow and immensely difficult, while investigators had to preserve crash-site evidence.
But the country’s acting president Choi Sang-mok, who has been in office less than a week, said Wednesday the process had finally been completed, and that more bodies had been handed over to relatives so that they could hold funerals.
“Our investigators, along with the US National Transportation Safety Board and the manufacturer, are conducting a joint investigation into the cause of the accident,” Choi said at a disaster response meeting.
“A comprehensive analysis and review of the aircraft’s structure and the black box data will reveal the cause of the accident,” Choi added.
The US investigators had arrived Monday and headed straight to Muan, with the initial on-site joint probe focusing on a navigation system known as a localizer that assists in aircraft landings.
The localizer, installed on a concrete structure at Muan International Airport, is the barrier that has been blamed for exacerbating the severity of the Jeju Air crash.
The plane was largely carrying holidaymakers back from year-end trips to Bangkok, with all passengers Korean nationals except for two Thais.
South Korea to send Jeju Air crash black box to US
https://arab.news/82bmn
South Korea to send Jeju Air crash black box to US
- South Korean and US investigators, including from Boeing, have been combing the crash site in southwestern Muan
- Officials initially pointed to a bird strike as a possible cause of the disaster
Jordan’s king, UK’s PM discuss Gaza, regional stability
- King Abdullah urges support for Syria’s efforts to protect its security, stability, sovereignty
- King also meets UK’s chief of defense staff during London visit
LONDON: The UK’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer met King Abdullah II of Jordan to discuss ways to support regional stability in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, Downing Street said on Tuesday.
The meeting was also attended by Crown Prince Hussein and focused on the continuing need to advocate for increased access for humanitarian aid into Gaza.
It also aimed at supporting reforms within the Palestinian Authority to facilitate the ceasefire and help implement the US-led peace plan.
The parties praised the strong relationship between the UK and Jordan, especially in defense cooperation.
The king reaffirmed Jordan’s opposition to Israeli actions aimed at establishing settlements and asserting sovereignty over the occupied West Bank, according to the Jordan News Agency.
He emphasized the importance of implementing the US-backed agreement to end the war in Gaza. He also urged support for the efforts of the Syrian Arab Republic to protect its security, stability, and sovereignty, Petra added.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi, the Director of His Majesty’s Office Alaa Batayneh, and Jordan’s Ambassador to the UK Manar Dabbas were also present at the meeting.
The king met on Monday in London Air Chief Marshal Richard Knighton, the UK’s chief of the defense staff. Their discussion centered on enhancing defense cooperation between Jordan and the UK. Maj. Gen. Yousef Huneiti, the chairman of Jordan’s joint chiefs of staff, also attended this meeting.
The king had met former British officials and members of Parliament prior to meeting Knighton. Discussions addressed the UK’s role in supporting efforts to restore stability within the region, alongside developments in Jerusalem, Gaza, Syria, and Iran.










