Israeli settlers set up tents in Lebanese border town

Israeli settlers crossed into Lebanese territory on Wednesday, erecting tents and taking pictures of themselves. (@tamerqdh)
Short Url
Updated 18 December 2024
Follow

Israeli settlers set up tents in Lebanese border town

  • Coastal town of Naqoura hosting UNIFIL 70 percent destroyed 

BEIRUT: Israeli settlers crossed into Lebanese territory on Wednesday, entering the border town of Maroun Al-Ras in a significant incident.

The group erected tents and took pictures of themselves in the area.

The Israeli army, which has been present in Lebanese territory since Oct. 1 and remains in the border area, said that the “serious matter” is being investigated.

Photos taken by the settlers showed two tents and a group of men accompanied by two children. The group raised banners featuring the Star of David, with the Lebanese cedar — symbolic of the Lebanese flag — prominently displayed in the center.

It was later discovered that one of the settlers had recently shared a video on social media in which he told his child, who accompanied him, that Lebanon belongs to Israel. The video had previously ignited widespread outrage in Lebanon.

The Israeli violations extended to areas near sites belonging to UNIFIL forces operating south of the Litani River.

A UNIFIL statement reported “activities by the Israeli army near one of our sites in Maroun Al-Ras,” describing the incident as “both dangerous and unacceptable, as it jeopardizes the safety of our personnel.”

The two incidents coincided with a meeting of the committee responsible for overseeing the implementation of the ceasefire agreement. Held at the headquarters of the Italian unit in Ras Al-Naqoura, the talks brought together military representatives from the US, France, Lebanon, Israel and UNIFIL.

For the third consecutive day, Israeli forces have continued demolishing and bulldozing homes, particularly in the town of Naqoura.

According to the town’s mayor, Ali Awada, “the extent of systematic destruction in the town has reached 70 percent since the ceasefire agreement took effect on Nov. 27.”

Awada added: “The Israeli forces are systematically demolishing the town, located just 3 km from the border. We have been unable to assess the full extent of the damage or losses firsthand, as the Israeli military has prohibited citizens from entering the town to inspect their properties. However, images and videos from the area clearly reveal Israeli machinery bulldozing homes, shops and civilian facilities in what seems to be a calculated act of retaliation against the town and its people.”

He expressed his surprise at “the failure of UNIFIL forces and those responsible for monitoring the ceasefire to prevent Israeli forces from demolishing infrastructure and civilian facilities in several towns, particularly in Naqoura, where the UNIFIL headquarters is located.”

The destruction extended to areas of Tyre Harfa, Al-Jabeen and Sheheen in the Tyre District, with residents of Tyre reporting the sound of explosions.

Israeli military reconnaissance aircraft were operating at low altitudes around the clock over the southern airspace as well as Beirut and its southern suburbs.

The Lebanese army, in coordination with UNIFIL forces, recovered several bodies of Hezbollah members who were killed in confrontations with the Israeli army during the extensive war launched by the Israeli military.

In the town of Adaisseh, located in the Marjeyoun district, the estimated number of bodies was about 30, all of which were retrieved by the Lebanese Red Cross.

The process of retrieving the bodies from the town of Taybeh is still awaiting approval from Israel, as requested by UNIFIL forces.

Civil defense teams continued their search for casualties in the northern neighborhood of Khiam following the withdrawal of the Israeli army from the area and the advance of the Lebanese army.

Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati received a report from Tamara El-Zain, secretary-general of the National Council for Scientific Research in Lebanon, titled “Israeli Aggressions Against Lebanon and Sectoral Damages.”

It was prepared by the council in collaboration with the UN Development Program in Lebanon.

The headquarters of the Lebanese Press Syndicate in Beirut witnessed a rally by dozens of activists from the Shiite Muslim community opposing Hezbollah, hailing from the south and the Bekaa. Their objective was to launch a rescue plan under the slogan “The State Protects Us.”

Media activist Mohammed Barakat said: “It is necessary to take the Shiite sect into the state project, after it was proved that sects and weapons do not protect a group of Lebanese, and after the fall of sectarian dominance projects in all regions.

“We tried (using) weapons. It turned out that they do not protect us. True security can only be achieved through the state and international resolutions.”

Barakat added that Shiites in Lebanon want “a Lebanon with one army, without militias that want to liberate Palestine or loose groups with weapons in all the alleys and sects.”

He said that Lebanon should, ultimately, be a “democratic parliamentary system, based on electoral processes rather than dominated by weapons, assassinations and black shirts.”

The activists highlighted the “legitimacy of the state, its constitution, the Taif Agreement, Arab legitimacy and Resolution 1701.”

Abiding by these would safeguard the Lebanese population, “particularly those residing in the South, the Bekaa Valley and the southern suburbs of Beirut,” they said.

“Lebanon should serve as the ultimate homeland for all its citizens, embracing an Arab identity and affiliation, characterized by shared interests, prosperity, development and investment.”


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.