Israel minister tells US ‘currently a chance’ for Gaza hostage deal

Relatives of victims of the Oct. 7 attacks visit an installation bearing the photos of their loved ones who were killed or kidnapped during the attacks, at the site of the Nova festival, in Re’im, southern Israel on Apr. 2, 2024.  (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 11 December 2024
Follow

Israel minister tells US ‘currently a chance’ for Gaza hostage deal

  • “We are hoping for the release of all the hostages, including US citizens,” he said.
  • The US, along with Egypt and Qatar, has been unsuccessfully attempting to mediate a ceasefire and hostage release

JERUSALEM: Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz told his US counterpart Lloyd Austin on Wednesday that there was “currently a chance” for a deal to release the remaining hostages held in Gaza for more than 14 months.
“There is currently a chance for a new deal,” Katz told Austin in a phone call, according to a readout from his office.
“We are hoping for the release of all the hostages, including US citizens,” he said.
The US, along with Egypt and Qatar, has been unsuccessfully attempting to mediate a ceasefire and hostage release deal between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas for more than a year.
Palestinian militants took 251 people hostage during Hamas’s surprise attack on October 7, 2023. A total of 96 remain in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military has confirmed are dead.
In recent days, there have been signs that months of failed negotiations might be revived and a breakthrough achieved.
On Monday, a source close to Hamas told AFP that the group had told Egypt’s spy chief of “efforts to collect information about the living Israeli prisoners.”
The source said that Hamas had prepared a list of hostages who were still alive, including several prisoners with dual Israeli and US citizenship.
“If Israel agrees to the Egyptian proposal, I think the exchange deal will be ready for implementation,” the source said.
Another upbeat assessment came from Qatar, which said on Saturday the election of Donald Trump as the next US president had created new “momentum” for negotiations.
At the same time, a source close to the Hamas delegation said that Turkiye, as well as Egypt and Qatar, had been “making commendable efforts to stop the war,” and a new round of talks could begin soon.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also hinted at potential progress, telling the families of hostages that Israel’s military successes against Hezbollah and Hamas would facilitate negotiations for their release.
Protesters, including relatives of the hostages, have repeatedly called for a deal to free the captives and accuse Netanyahu of prolonging the war for political purposes.
The unprecedented October 7 attack resulted in the deaths of 1,208 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Israel’s retaliatory military campaign in Gaza has killed at least 44,805 people, a majority civilians, according to figures from the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry which the UN considers reliable.
Seven individuals with US citizenship remain in Gaza, with four confirmed dead. Last week, the Israeli military notified the family of US-Israeli soldier Omer Neutra that he was killed on October 7 and his body held in Gaza.


Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

  • Hakan Fidan to call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue
  • To also emphasize Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza, stop its ceasefire violations
ANKARA: ‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
A Turkish diplomatic source said ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Turkiye’s ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” ⁠the ⁠source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.