ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani government on Tuesday extended its deadline for the submission of Hajj applications till December 10, a religious affairs ministry official said, hoping to receive applications for the remaining 21,171 seats to complete the quota.
Saudi Arabia has allotted Pakistan a total quota of 179,210 pilgrims for the upcoming Hajj pilgrimage, which would be divided equally between the government and private schemes. On Nov. 18, around 15 designated Pakistani banks started receiving applications for Hajj 2025 from the intending pilgrims.
The deadline to file Hajj applications was December 3 that has now been extended to receive more applications, according to the religious affairs ministry. All applications received till December 3 have been accepted, including the applications received through sponsorship scheme.
“We have received 68,434 applications so far which may increase till 12 midnight,” Umar Butt, a spokesperson for the religious affairs ministry, told Arab News.
Last year, Pakistan surrendered 21,000 Hajj seats to Saudi Arabia due to a shortage of applications, but this year the government is hopeful of achieving the required number of applications till December 10.
The religious affairs ministry last month announced the country’s Hajj 2025 policy, allowing pilgrims for the first time to pay Hajj fees in installments.
“The balloting will be held if the applications are received more than the allocated Hajj quota,” the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday, adding the deadline for submission of Hajj applications had been extended keeping in view people of far-flung areas.
Under the government scheme, the first installment of Hajj dues, Rs200,000 ($717), must be deposited along with the Hajj application, while the second installment of Rs400,000 ($1,435) has to be deposited within ten days of balloting. The remaining amount has to be deposited by Feb. 10 next year.
Pakistan’s religious affairs ministry has launched the ‘Pak Hajj 2025’ mobile application to guide and facilitate pilgrims. The app is available for both Android and iPhone users.
The Pakistani government has also announced a reduction in airfares for Hajj 2025, with a Rs14,000 ($50) drop in ticket prices. Pilgrims enrolled in the federal program will now pay Rs220,000 for airfare, down from last year’s Rs234,000. The national flag carrier, the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Saudi Airlines and other private airlines have agreed to the relief package, according to the Pakistani government.
The religious affairs ministry has appealed to the overseas Pakistanis to deposit their sponsorship funds till December 10 to hold the slots.
“Hajj applications can be submitted through an online portal on the ministry’s website,” the ministry said. “Pilgrims have been requested to download the Pak Hajj mobile app for new instructions.”
Pakistan extends deadline for Hajj applications with over 21,000 seats still available
https://arab.news/8y7v8
Pakistan extends deadline for Hajj applications with over 21,000 seats still available
- Saudi Arabia has allotted Pakistan a quota of 179,210 pilgrims for upcoming Hajj pilgrimage
- All applications received till Tuesday have been accepted without any draw, ministry says
Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi
- Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
- Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month
ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.
The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.
Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.
Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.
“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.
Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.
“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.
The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.
Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.
The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.
Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.
“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”
Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.









