ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s government on Sunday said it would hold social media users accountable for propagating “fake” deaths during anti-government protests by former prime minister Imran Khan’s party in Islamabad, reiterating that law enforcers deployed to disperse violent protesters did not have live ammunition.
Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party this week led thousands of supporters to Islamabad, seeking to pressure the government to release the ex-premier from jail. The protests resulted in clashes that Pakistan’s government says killed three paramilitary soldiers and a police officer, and injured hundreds of others. The PTI has named 12 people and says it has evidence they lost their lives during the crackdown, however, several PTI members have given varied accounts of casualties during the protests. Pakistani authorities deny the claims.
On Sunday, the Pakistani interior ministry said violent protesters “aggressively engaged LEAs repeatedly using fire arms and all sorts of other weaponry including steel sling shots, stun grenades, tear gas shells and nail studded batons” throughout the protest march from Peshawar to Islamabad. It said police and Rangers were employed without live ammunition to disperse the violent mobs, while army, deployed under Article 245 of the constitution to secure key government installations and foreign diplomats in the Red Zone, neither came in direct clash with the protesters, nor was it employed for riot control.
“Unfortunately, social media accounts of PTI resorted to planned and coordinated massive fake propaganda of deaths caused by LEAs (law enforcement agencies) so as to divert attention from this senseless, violent and failed activity. There have been multiple false claims of deaths ranging from tens to hundreds to thousands on social media as well as PTI political leadership and their official pages,” the interior ministry said in a statement.
“PTI and its social media propagandists are bent upon to create divisions and confusion within the society. Such elements, whether inside the country or abroad, will surely be held accountable under relevant laws and no one will be allowed to sow divisions, hatred and propagating fake news.”
It said major hospitals in Islamabad rubbished reports of alleged gunshot casualties inflicted by the LEAs after due diligence, but a “sustained fabricated social media campaign,” using old and AI-generated clips, was undertaken by the PTI.
Government functionaries, including ministers as well as Islamabad chief commissioner and senior police officials who were directly involved in these riot control operations, repeatedly explained and clarified the actual situation and events unfolding with credible evidence, according to the ministry.
“It may also be noted that use of lethal means by LEAs, if at all to be employed, was best suited at multiple enroute blocks rather than within Red Zone under complete media and public glare,” it said.
Khan’s PTI has staged several protests this year to demand the release of the ex-premier, who has been in jail since August last year on a slew of charges, as well as to challenge results of the Feb. 8 national election, which it says were manipulated to keep the party from coming to power in the country. The Pakistani government and election authorities deny this.
This week’s protest was by far the largest to grip the capital since the poll and the Pakistani government said it caused Rs192 billion per day indirect losses to the economy.
“It is concerning to note that 39 lethal weapons including 18 automatic weapons have been recovered from the violent protesters and that among the apprehended offenders there are more than three dozen paid aliens,” the interior ministry added.
Pakistan says will hold social media propagandists accountable over ‘fake’ protest deaths
https://arab.news/6gtdt
Pakistan says will hold social media propagandists accountable over ‘fake’ protest deaths
- Statement comes days after ex-PM Imran Khan’s party led supporters to Islamabad, resulting in clashes with law enforcers
- Government denies PTI’s account of casualties, says social media propagandists are bent upon creating divisions in country
Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi
- Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
- Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month
ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.
The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.
Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.
Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.
“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.
Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.
“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.
The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.
Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.
The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.
Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.
“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”
Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.









