‘Gracias, Rafa’: Rafael Nadal will head into retirement after Spain hosts the Davis Cup

Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz with coach Juan Carlos Ferrero and Rafael Nadal during a practice session for the Davis Cup Finals at Palacio de Deportes Jose Maria Martin Carpena Arena, Malaga, Spain, on Sunday. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 November 2024
Follow

‘Gracias, Rafa’: Rafael Nadal will head into retirement after Spain hosts the Davis Cup

  • When Nadal explained last month that the Davis Cup would be it for him, he spoke in happy terms about his more than two decades in the sport
  • He becomes the second member of the so-called Big Three of men’s tennis to retire

MALAGA, Spain: Rafael Nadal’s impending retirement will loom over the Davis Cup Final 8 from the moment it begins Tuesday in southern Spain.

If that weren’t already obvious, just glance at the banner measuring 28,000 square feet (2,600 square meters) — about half the size of a football field — that wraps around the soccer stadium across the street from the arena hosting the tennis. The blue sign, visible from the highway leaving Malaga’s airport, is marked with large white letters that read, “GRACIAS, RAFA.” Between those two words is an image of Nadal toting a tennis racket in his left hand while wearing one of his trademark sleeveless shirts and his just-as-ever-present headband.

He is shown with his back to the world, walking away, symbolizing the 38-year-old Spaniard’s goodbye to the sport after a remarkable career.

“It’s going to be very exciting for everyone,” said tournament director Feliciano Lopez, a former player who faced Nadal 14 times on tour as an opponent in singles and also was his Davis Cup teammate. “Very emotional, at the same time.”

That sentiment likely applies to Nadal’s fans, other players, his family — his wife and their son have attended practice — and, quite understandably, the 22-time Grand Slam champion himself as Tuesday approaches. That’s when Spain face the Netherlands on an indoor hard court at the Palacio de Deportes Jose Maria Martin Carpena.

“It’s amazing that it might be the last match that Nadal plays,” Dutch captain Paul Haarhuis said Sunday, “and we hope to give him a nice ‘Adios.’”

Nadal had hip surgery in June 2023 and missed nearly all of that season. He dealt with a new hip muscle problem this year and an abdominal injury, part of a long series of issues that contributed to his body feeling like what he described as “a jungle” in May after losing in the first round of the French Open, the clay-court Slam he’s won a record 14 times.

That was his only Grand Slam appearance all year; Nadal played a total of just 23 official singles matches over the past two seasons combined. That includes going 12-7 in 2024. His last real matches came at the Olympics in early August, when he lost in the second round of singles to Novak Djokovic and in the quarterfinals of doubles alongside Carlos Alcaraz.

Spain’s captain, David Ferrer, the 2013 French Open runner-up to Nadal, has not yet told the world how he will employ the star in Malaga.

Could be for singles, although Nadal said he’ll step aside if he doesn’t think he can win. Could be in doubles with his 21-year-old heir apparent, Alcaraz, in a renewal of their “Nadalcaraz” partnership. Could be both. If Spain gets past the Netherlands, it would face Germany or Canada in the semifinals on Friday.

“I really want him to retire with a title,” Alcaraz said.

Thursday’s quarterfinals feature the US against Australia, and defending champion Italy — whose roster features No. 1-ranked Jannik Sinner — against Argentina. The winners of those matchups will meet in the semifinals on Saturday; the championship will be decided Sunday.

When Nadal explained last month that the Davis Cup would be it for him, he spoke in happy terms about his more than two decades in the sport.

“Really, everything I have experienced has been a dream come true,” he said.

He becomes the second member of the so-called Big Three of men’s tennis to retire.

Roger Federer announced his departure in 2022 — teaming with Nadal in doubles at the Laver Cup, then crying alongside his longtime rival and, eventually, friend — while Djokovic is still near the top of the game.

Djokovic’s Serbia did not qualify for the Davis Cup quarterfinals, but he wrote on social media that he would be on hand in Malaga. Who knows who else might show up in the sellout crowd of 9,200 on Tuesday, not just from the world of tennis, and not just athletes from other sports, but other celebrities, as well?

“I don’t know if we’re going to have seats for everyone,” Lopez said. “Everyone wants to be there for his farewell.”

There will be plenty of folks tuning in on TV from afar, including other tennis players, of course.

“I’m going to watch it. I’m going to enjoy it,” said 2021 US Open champion Daniil Medvedev, who lost to Nadal in two Grand Slam finals. “It’s a big moment for the sport, because he did so much for the sport.”


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.