More than 1.2 million people flee as new super typhoon hits Philippines

Man-yi is the sixth storm in the past month to batter the archipelago nation. Above, residents survey the damage in San Andres, Catanduanes province on Nov. 17, 2024. (Courtesy of John Jonas Suaiso/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 November 2024
Follow

More than 1.2 million people flee as new super typhoon hits Philippines

  • Authorities warn of ‘life-threatening’ impact of sixth storm hitting the country in one month
  • Risk of landslides is high, as soil in many affected regions is saturated from previous storms

MANILA: More than 1.2 million people have been evacuated in eight regions of the Philippines as the country braces for the impact of the sixth tropical cyclone to hit in the past month, the Office of Civil Defense said on Sunday.

Super Typhoon Man-yi slammed into the coastal island of Catanduanes in the typhoon-prone Bicol region on Saturday evening, as the national weather agency warned of “potentially catastrophic and life-threatening situations.”

Five other storms — Usagi, Trami, Kong-rey, Yinxing and Toraji — struck the Philippines since late October, killing at least 163 people, displacing millions and causing widespread destruction mainly in the country’s north.

OCD Administrator Ariel Nepomuceno said there were no immediate reports of casualties from Man-yi’s impact, but government agencies were on alert as they expected flooding and landslides on Sunday and Monday.

Residents were evacuated in eight regions covering the northwestern, northeastern and central parts of Luzon — the country’s most populous island — as well as the Bicol Peninsula in its southernmost part, the island provinces of Mindoro, Marinduque, and Palawan, and parts of the Eastern Visayas, including Samar island.

“We did worst-case planning … In total, 361,079 families cooperated, that means 1.24 million individuals who went to the evacuation centers,” Nepomuceno told Arab News.

“Fortunately, so far no one has been reported injured or killed. But we are not done yet because the storm is heading towards mainland Aurora … then to southern Aurora and northern Quezon, and then the typhoon will cross Central Luzon. It may exit La Union or Pangasinan, so we will look at that whole area.”

He said the main danger at the moment was from landslides as “the soils in the affected areas are already saturated.”

In Catanduanes, which was so far the worst hit, 11 of the island province’s 16 towns sustained major damage.

“Many houses were destroyed … because electric poles were toppled, there is no electricity in almost all of Catanduanes,” Nepomuceno said.

The Philippines is considered the country most at risk from natural disasters, according to the 2024 World Risk Report.

Each year, the Southeast Asian nation experiences around 20 tropical storms and typhoons, impacting millions of people as weather patterns become increasingly unpredictable and extreme due to climate change.

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest tropical cyclones ever recorded, displaced millions and left more than 6,000 people dead or missing in the central Philippines.


X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

  • The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
  • Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored

Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.

The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.

X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.

The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.

Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.

AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.

Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.

Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.

He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.

xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.