Argentina orders 61 Brazilians arrested over 2023 Brasilia coup attempt

1 / 2
2 / 2
Weapons and Nazi paraphernalia are displaced after they were seized in Quilmes during an international security operation. (Argentina Federal Police/Handout)
Short Url
Updated 16 November 2024
Follow

Argentina orders 61 Brazilians arrested over 2023 Brasilia coup attempt

  • Brazil’s Supreme Court has requested Argentina to round up the Brazilian nationals in Argentina, who are subject to an extradition request and have been sentenced to prison term

BUENOS AIRES: Argentina’s justice system has ordered the arrest of 61 Brazilians in the country who are facing prison sentences at home related to last year’s coup attempt in Brasilia, a judicial source told AFP on Friday.
The order, issued by Judge Daniel Rafecas, was requested by Brazil’s Supreme Court to round up the Brazilian nationals in Argentina, who are subject to an extradition request and have been sentenced to prison terms, the source said.
Brazilian police have arrested hundreds of suspects in the January 2023 attack by thousands of supporters of former far-right leader Jair Bolsonaro on the country’s presidential palace, Congress and the Supreme Court.
Claiming electoral fraud, they demanded the intervention of the armed forces to depose newly elected left-wing President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Brazil announced on June 10 that it had requested Argentina’s help in locating more than 140 fugitives linked to the assault.
“Two people have already been arrested,” the judicial source said Friday.
“Wherever they are identified or located in Argentina, they will be arrested and turned over to judicial authorities to begin the extradition process.”
In October, Argentina amended its refugee law so that people accused or convicted of crimes in their native countries would no longer be eligible.
 


Spain arrests ‘man of a thousand names’ wanted in Peru

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Spain arrests ‘man of a thousand names’ wanted in Peru

  • The suspect, who belongs to a Peruvian gang called “Los Terribles del 17,” was arrested in Madrid
  • The man previously took part in a mass escape in 2012 from Challapalca Prison

MADRID: Spanish police said Tuesday they have captured a fugitive known as “the man of a thousand names” wanted by Peruvian authorities for alleged possession of explosives.
The suspect, who belongs to a Peruvian gang called “Los Terribles del 17,” which is involved in violent crime, was arrested in Madrid after months of investigation, Spain’s National Police said in a statement.
“He had deliberately removed his fingerprints and was using a stolen identity belonging to someone else,” it added.
The man previously took part in a mass escape in 2012 from Challapalca Prison, a remote high-altitude maximum-security facility in southern Peru that houses violent criminals.
He was arrested again in 2024 while in possession of an explosive device and ammunition, with evidence suggesting his involvement in extortion and contract killings.
However, he managed to evade justice once more by fleeing to Spain. He is now in custody pending extradition.
Peru is grappling with a crime wave fueled by a surge in extortion schemes as gangs exert increasing control over urban areas.