Taliban shut down Radio Zhman over alleged music broadcast

Radio Zhman, established in 2017, broadcasts a mix of political, social, cultural and educational programming. (X/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 November 2024
Follow

Taliban shut down Radio Zhman over alleged music broadcast

  • Officials closed the radio station after warnings about broadcasting background music during programs
  • Afghanistan Journalists Center says closure is a ‘significant infringement on the fundamental rights of free media’

LONDON: Taliban authorities have shut down Radio Zhman TV in Afghanistan’s southeastern Khost province, accusing the station of using background music in its broadcasts, a violation of the Taliban’s media policies since their takeover of the country in August 2021.

The Afghanistan Journalists Center condemned the closure on Wednesday, calling it a “significant infringement on the fundamental rights of free media” and warned of potential repercussions if restrictions on local media continue to escalate.

According to AFJC, Afghanistan’s media law stipulates that journalists and media organizations should be able to conduct their professional duties without undue restrictions, and that authorities have a responsibility to support media freedoms.

US-based Amu TV reported that the decision was made during a commission meeting at Khost’s Directorate of Information and Culture, which included representatives from the Ministry of Vice and Virtue, local intelligence, police, and information officials.

The commission determined that the station’s use of light background music in a social issues program was a breach of the Taliban’s strict media policies.

The Taliban’s Ministry of Vice and Virtue, which enforces its interpretation of Islamic law, had previously issued warnings to broadcasters about playing music, which the group deems inappropriate.

Radio Zhman, established in 2017, broadcasts a mix of political, social, cultural and educational programming from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., reaching listeners in Khost and parts of neighboring Paktia province.

It is the second local media outlet to be shut down in Khost recently. Gharghasht Radio was closed on Oct. 31 but allowed to resume operations three days later on the condition that it refrains from broadcasting any music.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.