Gillespie to coach Pakistan during Australia white-ball series as Kirsten resigns

Pakistan’s test coach Jason Gillespie (left) and former white-ball coach Gary Kirsten (right) address a press conference in Lahore, Pakistan, on September 23, 2024. (Pakistan Cricket Board/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 October 2024
Follow

Gillespie to coach Pakistan during Australia white-ball series as Kirsten resigns

  • Kirsten’s decision comes after PCB appointed new selection committee without coaches and captain in it
  • Pakistan’s cricket team is scheduled to play against Australia in away white-ball series starting next month 

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced on Monday that white-ball Head Coach Gary Kirsten has resigned from his post, with test coach Jason Gillespie set to take over his place for the upcoming Australia tour. 

Kirsten was reportedly at odds with the PCB after it announced a new selection committee following Pakistan’s humiliating innings defeat to England in the first test match at Multan this month. 

The new selection committee, the third in three months, now comprises former Pakistan fast bowler Aaqib Javed, Aleem Dar, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Hassan Cheema. Kirsten, Gillespie and the captain of the national squad, who were previously part of the selection committee, were removed from the panel. The new selection committee, Javed in particular, has risen in influence after their initiative to produce spin-friendly tracks in Multan and Rawalpindi helped Pakistan win the three-match test series against England 2-1.

“Jason Gillespie will coach the Pakistan men’s cricket team on next month’s white-ball tour of Australia after Gary Kirsten submitted his resignation which was accepted,” the PCB said in a statement. 

The development takes place a day after the PCB announced central contracts for 25 cricketers and appointed wicket-keeper batter Mohammad Rizwan as the new Pakistan white-ball skipper. 

When the announcement was made at a press conference on Sunday, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi was flanked by Javed, Ali, Rizwan and newly appointed vice-captain Salman Ali Agha. Kirsten was notably missing. 

His resignation comes days before Pakistan take on Australia for a limited-overs away series next month. The green shirts will play three ODIs against Australia on Nov. 8, 8 and 10 while it will play five T20Is against the Aussies on Nov. 14, 16 and 18. 

Kirsten, 56, is a former South African top-order batter who played 101 Test matches and 185 ODIs from 1993-2004 in which he scored a total of 14,087 runs and 34 centuries.

The former South Africa top-order batter played 101 Tests and 185 ODIs from 1993-2004 in which he accumulated a total of 14,087 runs with 34 centuries.

Kirsten coached India from 2008-2011 and helped them win the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2011 title and attain the number one position on the ICC Test Team Rankings.

He also coached South Africa men’s cricket team from 2011-2013 and inspired them to the number one position on the ICC Test Team Rankings.

Kirsten has coached Indian Premier League (IPL) teams Delhi Capitals, Royal Challengers Bengaluru and Gujarat Titans, who won the 2022 IPL tournament. 


Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage

Updated 58 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage

  • Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday

LIWA OASIS: Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday.
The 22-year-old, who finished second in last year’s Giro d’Italia, made a perfect start to his race by beating Dutchman Cees Bol and Italy’s Antonio Tiberi to the finish line of a stage reduced from 144km to 118km due to high winds.
It was an impressive display of strength from Del Toro, getting the better of the pure sprinters.
“It’s unbelievable, it’s crazy,” Del Toro said. “I don’t know exactly (how it happened) but I just see the chance and I don’t want to regret it.”
Italian Jonathan Milan was expected to be in the frame for the stage win but crashed heavily at a roundabout 1,500m from the end.
Del Toro, who rides for UAE Team Emirates, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his teammate Tadej Pogacar who won the race last year.
Belgian star Remco Evenepoel is likely to be one of his main challengers, after two-time Tour de France champion Jonas Vingegaard pulled out ahead of the first stage due to a recent crash and illness.
Tuesday’s second stage is a 12km time-trial.