Indian police arrest minor for hoax bomb threats on flights

India’s Vistara airline said Thursday that its passenger jet flying from Frankfurt to Mumbai the day before had received a ‘security threat’ on social media, but landed safely at its planned destination. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2024
Follow

Indian police arrest minor for hoax bomb threats on flights

  • Indian airlines have this month received a spate of threats to domestic and international flights on their social media
  • Local media have reported that bomb threats were made from an account on X

NEW DELHI: Police in India’s financial capital Mumbai have arrested a minor for allegedly posting online bomb threats to three flights earlier this week, India’s aviation minister said.

Indian airlines have this month received a spate of threats to domestic and international flights on their social media, all of which have been false alarms.

“Strongly condemn the recent bomb threats to Indian air carriers. We are closely monitoring the situation and ensuring that every necessary measure is taken against such actions,” Ram Mohan Naidu Kinjarapu, the country’s civil aviation minister, said in a post on X on Wednesday.

He said the person arrested was a minor, meaning below the age of 18, and did not name him.

Local media have reported that bomb threats were made from an account on X and alleged two IndiGo flights — one to Muscat and another to Jeddah, and an Air India one to New York had armed militants with explosives.

At least eight flights of leading carrier IndiGo were subject to threats. Three Spicejet ones, two Vistara and four Air India ones also received similar messages online this week, according to Reuters calculations.

Air India said its flight from New Delhi to Chicago was forced to land in Canada on Wednesday after a “security threat posted online.” Passengers were later taken to their destination by a Canadian Air Force plane.

“Air India notes that it, and other local airlines, have been subject to a number of threats in recent days,” the carrier said.

The government plans to enhance security on international flights by deploying more sky marshals, who are armed personnel in plain clothes, according to India’s Economic Times newspaper.

India’s interior and aviation ministries did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.

IndiGo, Spicejet and Vistara said in their statements they are working with authorities to follow standard procedures.


Hundreds rally in Paris to support Ukraine after four years of war

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Hundreds rally in Paris to support Ukraine after four years of war

  • Demonstrators chanted: “We support Ukraine against Putin, who is killing it“
  • “Frozen Russian assets must be confiscated, they belong to Ukraine“

PARIS: Around one thousand took to the streets of Paris on Saturday to show their “massive support” for Ukraine, just days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion.
Demonstrators marching through the French capital chanted: “We support Ukraine against Putin, who is killing it,” and “Frozen Russian assets must be confiscated, they belong to Ukraine.”
“In public opinion, there is massive support for Ukraine that has not wavered since the first day of the full-scale invasion” by the Russian army on February 24, 2022, European Parliament member Raphael Glucksmann, told AFP.
“On the other hand, in the French political class, sounds of giving up are starting to emerge. On both the far left and the far right, voices of capitulation are getting louder and louder,” he added.
In the crowd, Irina Kryvosheia, a Ukrainian who arrived in France several years ago, “thanked with all her heart the people present.”
She said they reminded “everyone that what has been happening for four years is not normal, it is not right.”
Kryvosheia said she remains in daily contact with her parents in Kyiv, who told her how they were deprived “for several days” of heating, electricity and running water following intense bombardments by the Russian army.
Francois Grunewald, head of “Comite d’Aide Medicale Ukraine,” had just returned from a one-month mission in the country, where the humanitarian organization has delivered around forty generators since the beginning of the year.
Russia’s full-scale invasion sent shockwaves around the world and triggered the bloodiest and most destructive conflict in Europe since World War II.
The war has seen tens of thousands of civilians and hundreds of thousands of military personnel killed on both sides. Millions of refugees have fled Ukraine, where vast areas have been devastated by fighting.
Russia occupies nearly 20 percent of Ukrainian territory and its heavy attacks on the country’s energy sites have sparked a major energy crisis.