Germany flies out Beirut embassy staff, vulnerable citizens

1 / 2
Passengers leave a Bundeswehr aircraft after landing in Berlin's airport, Germany, Monday, Sept. 30, 2024. (AP)
2 / 2
Departures are announced on a monitor at Beirut's International airport on September 28, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 October 2024
Follow

Germany flies out Beirut embassy staff, vulnerable citizens

  • At the weekend, Berlin raised its alert level for the missions in Beirut, Tel Aviv and Ramallah in the occupied West Bank

BERLIN: Germany on Monday flew out its Beirut embassy’s non-essential staff, their dependants and some of its citizens in Lebanon with medical conditions, officials said.
About 110 passengers were aboard the German air force A321 plane, including diplomats, other personnel and some citizens considered in a vulnerable condition.
The plane landed late Monday in the capital Berlin, the foreign ministry said.
The foreign and defense ministries earlier announced the special flight “to support the departure of the colleagues and their families” as well as staff of some German partner organizations from strife-torn Lebanon.
“German nationals who are particularly at risk due to medical circumstances are also being taken,” said the statement.
Israel has been bombing targets of the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah in Beirut and eastern and southern Lebanon, in strikes that have killed hundreds and forced hundreds of thousands more to flee their homes.
The Beirut embassy remained operational to help the estimated 1,800 German citizens in the country.
“The embassy continues to support the remaining Germans in Lebanon in their departure via commercial flights and other means,” the statement added.
At the weekend, Berlin raised its alert level for the missions in Beirut, Tel Aviv and Ramallah in the occupied West Bank.
A German government spokesman on Monday said that “we are currently at a stage where we support the departure (of citizens) but we are explicitly not in an evacuation scenario.”
The statement reiterated that “all Germans in Lebanon have been urged to leave the country since October 2023.”
Hezbollah began low-intensity cross-border strikes on Israeli troops a day after its Palestinian ally Hamas staged its unprecedented attack on Israel on October 7, triggering war in the Gaza Strip.
Israel said earlier this month it was shifting its focus from Gaza to securing its northern border with Lebanon, in order to allow Israelis displaced since October to return to their homes.
Hezbollah vowed on Monday to keep fighting Israel and said it was ready to face any ground operation into Lebanon, after its leader was killed in an air strike that dealt the group a seismic blow.
 

 


Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Updated 28 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.

Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.

Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers. 

Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said. 

Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.