Sky News drops anchor following controversial interview with Israeli official

Following the broadcast, Danon wrote to Sky News management, calling for Donati’s resignation. (Screenshot/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 September 2024
Follow

Sky News drops anchor following controversial interview with Israeli official

  • In January interview with Israel’s UN Ambassador Danny Danon, presenter Belle Donati compared Israel’s military actions in Gaza to the Holocaust

LONDON: Sky News has not renewed the contract of anchor Belle Donati following backlash over a heated interview with Israel’s UN Ambassador Danny Danon in January.

During the live broadcast, Donati compared Israel’s military actions in Gaza to the Holocaust, sparking widespread criticism. Sky News later issued an on-air apology for her remarks, though Donati did not do so herself.

According to entertainment outlet Deadline on Tuesday, the network chose not to renew Donati’s contract, which expired in early September.

She has not appeared on the channel since the incident, and her social media accounts have been inactive since the interview. Sky News declined to comment further on the matter.

The controversy arose when Donati questioned an op-ed by Danon in the Wall Street Journal that, she alleged, advocated for “ethnic cleansing” in Gaza.

“I will not allow it. Ethnic cleansing, that’s a word you used. If you read my article, I spoke about voluntary immigration,” Danon replied.

Donati said: “The sort of voluntary relocation of many Jewish people during the Holocaust, I imagine.”

The remarks sparked an immediate backlash with Danon, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party, accusing the presenter of antisemitism.

“Shame on you for that comparison,” Danon said. “You should apologize for what you just said.”

Following the broadcast, Danon wrote to Sky News management, calling for Donati’s resignation.

Sky News quickly distanced itself from her comments, labeling them “completely inappropriate” and offering an “unreserved apology” to both Danon and viewers.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.