QUETTA: Pakistani forces have gunned down seven militants in the country’s southwestern Balochistan province, the military and counterterrorism officials said on Saturday, nearly two weeks after deadly attacks in the restive region.
Baloch separatist militants hit several civil and military targets in a string of coordinated attacks in Balochistan on August 25, killing more than 50 people. Balochistan, which shares its border with Iran and Afghanistan, has been the scene of a low-level insurgency by separatist militants for the last two decades.
On the night of Sept. 6-7, security forces conducted an intelligence-based operation in Balochistan’s Kalat district on reported presence of militants, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the Pakistani military’s media wing. During the operation, two militants were killed.
“Weapons, ammunition and explosives were also recovered from the killed terrorists, who remained actively involved in numerous terrorist activities in the area against security forces as well as the innocent civilians,” the ISPR said in a statement. “Sanitization operation is underway to neutralize any other terrorist present in the area.”
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif appreciated security personnel for the successful operation against militants in Kalat.
“Pakistan will continue the war against terrorism till its complete eradication from the country,” he said in a statement. “The entire nation, including me, is proud of the brave officers and soldiers of the security forces participating in the war against terrorism.”
Majority of Aug. 25 attacks in Balochistan were claimed by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), the most prominent of separatist groups operating in the province that is home to key China-led infrastructure projects, including a port and a gold-copper mine.
The separatists accuse the central government of exploiting Balochistan’s mineral and gas resources. The Pakistani state denies the allegation, asserting it is working to uplift the region through development initiatives.
Earlier in the day, the Counterterrorism Department (CTD) of the Balochistan police announced it had killed five militants of the proscribed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in a shootout in Surkhab area of the Pishin district on Friday night.
“Five terrorists belonging the banned TTP were killed during an exchange of fire between the CTD personnel and the terrorists,” a CTD official, who did not want to be named, told Arab News. “A cache of arms and explosives, including hand grenades, improvised explosive devices and a motorbike were seized from their compound.”
The official further said one of the militants belonged to Spin Boldak, a border town in Afghanistan close to Pakistan’s southwestern city of Chaman.
Islamabad has blamed a number of recent attacks in Pakistan’s western regions on militants operating out of neighboring Afghanistan. Kabul denies the allegation and says rising violence in Pakistan is a domestic issue for Islamabad.
Pakistani forces kill seven militants in country’s restive southwest
https://arab.news/5jbhy
Pakistani forces kill seven militants in country’s restive southwest
- The development comes nearly two weeks after deadly separatist attacks killed more than 50 people in Balochistan
- PM Shehbaz Sharif appreciates security personnel for successful operation against militants in Balochistan’s Kalat
Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing
- Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further
- Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them
COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.
India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.
A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.
It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.
“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.
“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.
“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”
Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.
“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.
“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”
Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.
“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.
Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.
“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”
Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.










