Egypt reiterates rejection of Ethiopia’s unilateral actions on disputed dam

The letter, from Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty to the council president, came after comments by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed regarding the fifth phase of the dam’s filling. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 September 2024
Follow

Egypt reiterates rejection of Ethiopia’s unilateral actions on disputed dam

  • Addis Ababa lacks political will to reach solution, foreign minister tells UN
  • East African nation’s stance ‘entirely unacceptable,’ Badr Abdelatty says

CAIRO: Egypt on Sunday sent a letter to the UN Security Council reiterating its rejection of Ethiopia’s unilateral actions regarding the disputed Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam.

The letter, from Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty to the council president, came after comments by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed regarding the fifth phase of the dam’s filling.

Egypt said Ethiopia’s unilateral policies contravened the rules and principles of international law and constituted a flagrant violation of the Agreement on Declaration of Principles signed by Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan in 2015 and the presidential statement of the Security Council issued on Sept. 15, 2021.

Abdelatty said that Ahmed’s statements regarding withholding a portion of the waters of the Blue Nile this year and the completion of the concrete structure of the GERD were entirely unacceptable to Egypt.

The letter said that the negotiation tracks on the GERD, in which Egypt had engaged with genuine intentions, had ended after 13 years. It was now clear that Addis Ababa wished only to maintain an endless negotiation process as a cover to conceal its ulterior purpose of entrenching a fait accompli and that it lacked the political will to reach a solution.

Ethiopia was seeking to legitimize its unilateral policies, which contravene international law, under the guise of unfounded claims concerning peoples’ right to development, it said.

Abdelatty said Egypt was among the leading countries supporting development in the Nile Basin states and that mutual growth could be achieved only if all parties committed to cooperative practices in line with international law, avoided causing harm to others and promoted regional integration.

He described Ethiopia’s policies as unlawful and said they would have grave consequences for the downstream nations of Egypt and Sudan.

Despite the recent increase in Nile flood levels and Egypt’s efforts to mitigate the adverse effects of Ethiopia’s unilateral actions regarding the GERD, Egypt would continue to monitor developments closely and would take all measures and steps accorded by the UN Charter to defend its existence and the aspirations and interests of its people, the minister said.

Egypt’s Supreme Committee for the Nile convened last week under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly. It reaffirmed the country’s right to defend its water security and take the requisite measures to achieve this.

The committee also discussed ways to improve cooperation in the region.

Abdelatty said Egypt strongly believed in working together to secure funding for development projects in Nile Basin countries in line with internationally agreed practices.

Such an approach promoted prosperity while avoiding the potential tensions and poverty arising from Ethiopia’s uncooperative policies, he said.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.