Denmark to close its embassies in Mali, Burkina Faso

Danish Foreign Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen speaks during the Eleventh Emergency Special Session of the General Assembly on Ukraine, at UN headquarters in New York City on February 23, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 27 August 2024
Follow

Denmark to close its embassies in Mali, Burkina Faso

COPENHAGEN: Denmark will close its embassies in Mali and Burkina Faso after a series of military coups over the past few years, the Danish Foreign Ministry said on Monday, as it formally launched a new strategy for its cooperation with the African continent.

Ruled by a military junta since 2020, Mali has been battling ethnic Tuareg rebels in its north alongside Russia’s Wagner mercenary group after it cut military cooperation ties with Western powers including EU countries.

Since then, relations between Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso and Western powers have deteriorated as the three turn to Russia for support.

Frustrations over authorities’ failure to restore security have contributed to coups in Mali and Burkina Faso, which the ministry said had created very limited room for maneuver in the Sahel region.

At the same time, the Danish ministry said it would open embassies in Rwanda, Senegal and Tunisia, and increase its diplomatic workforce in its embassies to Egypt, Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria and Ghana.

Separately, at least 100 villagers and soldiers were killed in central Burkina Faso during a weekend attack on a village by Al-Qaeda-linked terrorists, according to videos of the violence analyzed by a regional specialist, who’s described the assault as one of the deadliest this year in the conflict-battered West African nation.

Villagers in the Barsalogho commune which is 80 kilometers from the capital city were helping security forces dig trenches to protect security outposts and villages on Saturday when fighters with the Al-Qaeda-linked JNIM group invaded the area and opened fire on them, said Wassim Nasr, a Sahel specialist and senior research fellow at the Soufan Center security think tank.

Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attack on Sunday, saying in a statement that it gained “total control over a militia position” in Barsalogho in Kaya, a strategic town security forces have used to fight off terrorists that have over the years tried to close in on the capital, Ouagadougou.


Las Vegas police investigate terrorism event after vehicle rammed into power substation

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Las Vegas police investigate terrorism event after vehicle rammed into power substation

LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas police say they’re investigating a car that rammed into a power substation as a ” terrorism-related event.”
There’s no ongoing threat to the public, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sheriff Kevin McMahill said during a news conference Friday.
The driver of the vehicle was 23-year-old Dawson Maloney from Albany, New York, who was reported missing and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, McMahill said.
The man had communicated with family before the crash, referencing self-harm, and said he was going to commit an act that would place him on the news. He referred to himself as a terrorist in a message sent to his mother, according to police.
Authorities found explosive materials and multiple books “related to extremist ideologies” in Maloney’s hotel room, McMahill said. The books included ones about right- and left-wing extremism, environmental extremism, white supremacism and anti-government ideology, he said.
“These findings significantly elevate the seriousness of this incident,” McMahill said.
Maloney is listed as a student at Albany Law School in the class of 2027. He was also an honors student for multiple semesters at Siena University, located in New York.
Two shotguns, an assault rifle-style pistol, and flame throwers were found in his rental car, McMahill said. Maloney was wearing what police described as “soft-body armor.”
Authorities recovered a 3D printer and several gun components needed to assemble a firearm from an Albany residence.
Boulder City is a historic town located approximately 25 miles  southeast of Las Vegas and home to the Hoover Dam, which is considered one of the country’s modern civil engineering wonders. The dam provides water to millions of people and generates an average of 4 billion kilowatt-hours of hydroelectric power each year for Nevada, Arizona and California.
The power substation that was rammed is owned by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. The facility works closely with Hoover Dam and transfers power to the Los Angeles basin, McMahill said. The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said in a statement to The Associated Press that it is aware of the incident, and there were no impacts or disruptions to its operations.
Boulder City Police Chief Timothy Shea said there is no evidence of major damage to critical infrastructure and no service disruptions.
A similar incident occurred in 2023 when a man rammed a car through a fence at a solar power facility in the desert northeast of Las Vegas, setting the car on fire. The solar power facility served Las Vegas Strip casinos. He was declared unfit for trial. That attack followed several incidents and arrests involving electrical substations in states including Washington, Oregon and North Carolina and concerns expressed by federal officials about the security of the nation’s electricity transmission network.
“We are heartbroken to hear of the tragic passing of one of our law students, Dawson Maloney, in an off-campus incident,” said Tom Torello, director of communications and marketing at Albany Law School, in a statement.