Pakistan police charge man with cyber terrorism over misinformation that led to riots in UK

1 / 2
Police officers disperse a group of residents chanting "Allahu Akbar (God is Greatest)" at a counter-gathering ahead of an anti-immigration protest called by far-right activists, outside the Waltham Forest Immigration Bureau offices in the Walthamstow suburb of London, on August 7, 2024. (AFP)
2 / 2
People hold anti-racist placards as they take part in a "Stop the Far-right" demonstration on a National Day of Protest, outside of the headquarters of the Reform UK political party, in London on August 10, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 21 August 2024
Follow

Pakistan police charge man with cyber terrorism over misinformation that led to riots in UK

  • Freelance web developer Farhan Asif is accused of spreading misinformation about UK teenage suspect in stabbing that killed three girls in July
  • False information claimed the suspect was a recently arrived asylum-seeker and had a name that suggested the teen was Muslim, unleashing mob attacks

LAHORE, Pakistan: Pakistani police have arrested a man and charged him with cyber terrorism for his alleged role in spreading misinformation that led to widespread rioting in the UK earlier this month, a senior police investigator said Wednesday.

The suspect was identified as Farhan Asif, 32, a freelance web developer, said Imran Kishwar, deputy inspector general of investigations in Lahore, the capital of eastern Punjab province.

The man is accused of spreading misinformation from YouTube and Facebook about the British teenage suspect in a stabbing attack that killed three girls and injured 10 other people July 29 at a dance class in Northwest England.

The false information claimed that the suspect was a recently arrived asylum-seeker and had a name that suggested the teen was Muslim.

After the misinformation led to a violent mob attacking a mosque near the site of the stabbing the next day, police took the unusual step of clarifying that the suspect was born in the UK It’s been widely reported in British media that his parents are from Rwanda and said to have Christian beliefs.

Channel3 Now, an account on the X social media platform that purports to be a news channel, was one of the first outlets to report the false name, Ali Al-Shakati. A Facebook account for the channel said it is managed by people in Pakistan and the US.

The site’s editor-in-chief posted an apology July 31 for “the misleading information published in a recent article on our website, Channel3 NOW. We deeply regret any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.”

But the false reports were widely disseminated and are blamed for fueling more than a week of rioting that broke out across the United Kingdom and has led to more than 1,000 arrests.

Authorities have blamed far-right agitators for stoking the violent unrest by continuing to spread misinformation and promoting the violent demonstrations online.

At a news conference in the eastern city of Lahore, police said Asif was arrested at his house in the city for questioning.

He said Asif has claimed that he was not the source of the misinformation but that he reposted it from social media.

Police have handed over the case to the Federal Investigation Agency, which handles cases relating to the cyber terrorism. It was unclear if Britain had requested his extradition.