Brazil, Colombia — but not US — favor fresh Venezuela elections

Venezuelans living in Colombia take part in a protest against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's disputed victory in Venezuela's presidential elections during a rally in Medellin, Colombia, on August 7, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 August 2024
Follow

Brazil, Colombia — but not US — favor fresh Venezuela elections

CARACAS: The presidents of Brazil and Colombia called Thursday for fresh elections in Venezuela after international condemnation of last month’s vote that the opposition says was stolen by strongman Nicolas Maduro.

From Washington, US President Joe Biden signalled he was also calling for a new vote, but hours later the White House walked back his comment.

The two South American leaders, who spoke on the phone Wednesday to discuss a possible “political exit” from Venezuela’s post-election crisis, independently urged Maduro to consider a new election.

But Venezuelan opposition leader Maria Corina Machado said it would show “a lack of respect” for the popular will already expressed on July 28.

If Maduro “is sensible,” said Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, “he could try to appeal to the people of Venezuela, perhaps even organize elections.”

Lula told a Brazilian radio station there should be “criteria for participation of all candidates” in a new election, which should “allow observers from all over the world.”

For his part, Colombian President Gustavo Petro called on X for the lifting of all sanctions against Caracas, a “general national and international amnesty,” “new, free elections” and a “transitional cohabitation government.”

Biden meanwhile addressed the issue Thursday. Asked by a reporter whether he supported the idea of fresh Venezuelan elections, the US leader replied: “I do.”

But the White House suggested Biden meant something more general.

“The president was speaking to the absurdity of Maduro and his representatives not coming clean about the July 28 elections,” a spokesman said, adding it was “abundantly clear” that opposition candidate Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia had won.

“The United States again calls for the will of the Venezuelan people to be respected and for discussions to begin on a transition back to democratic norms,” a National Security Council spokesman said.

Machado, who was replaced on the ballot by a proxy after being barred from seeking election by Maduro-friendly state institutions, told a virtual press conference that “to ignore what happened on July 28 shows a lack of respect for Venezuelans” who voted “in very adverse conditions where there was fraud and we still managed to win.”

Venezuela’s CNE electoral council proclaimed Maduro the winner of a third, six-year term, giving him 52 percent of votes cast but without providing a detailed breakdown of the results.

The opposition says polling station-level results show its candidate Gonzalez Urrutia, a 74-year-old retired diplomat, defeated Maduro by a wide margin.

Gonzalez Urrutia himself reaffirmed Thursday on X that he had won the election “by an overwhelming majority,” and that “we reiterate our commitment to democracy.”

Gonzalez Urrutia and Machado have been in hiding since the president accused them of seeking to foment a “coup d’etat” and demanded they be jailed.

Anti-Maduro protests have claimed 25 lives so far, with dozens injured and more than 2,400 arrested.

Maduro’s victory claim has been rejected by the United States, European Union and several Latin American countries.

Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, meanwhile, insisted Thursday the dispute was “up to the Venezuelans to resolve.”

Maduro has rejected the possibility of new elections and asked the country’s highest court, also viewed as loyal to him, to certify the outcome.

Meanwhile, Venezuela’s legislature on Thursday approved a law to regulate the registration and funding of NGOs described by Maduro’s regime as a “facade for the financing of terrorist actions.”

The law is part of several under consideration in the regime-friendly National Assembly that critics say are meant to criminalize opponents of the strongman.

National Assembly president Jorge Rodriguez has indicated he would also seek to ban future election observation missions from foreign countries.

The vast majority of the 277 lawmakers in the single-chamber National Assembly are loyal to Maduro, who had warned of a “bloodbath” if he lost his reelection bid.

United Nations human rights chief Volker Turk and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights have urged lawmakers not to pass laws they said would limit democratic freedoms.

Since coming to power in 2013, Maduro has presided over an economic collapse that has seen more than seven million Venezuelans flee the country, as GDP plunged 80 percent in a decade.


Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

KABUL: Barbers in Afghanistan risk detention for trimming men’s beards too short, they told AFP, as the Taliban authorities enforce their strict interpretation of Islamic law with increasing zeal.
Last month, the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice said it was now “obligatory” to grow beards longer than a fist, doubling down on an earlier order.
Minister Khalid Hanafi said it was the government’s “responsibility to guide the nation to have an appearance according to sharia,” or Islamic law.
Officials tasked with promoting virtue “are obliged to implement the Islamic system,” he said.
With ministry officials patrolling city streets to ensure the rule is followed, the men interviewed by AFP all spoke on condition of anonymity due to security concerns.
In the southeastern province of Ghazni, a 30-year-old barber said he was detained for three nights after officials found out that one of his employees had given a client a Western-style haircut.
“First, I was held in a cold hall. Later, after I insisted on being released, they transferred me to a cold (shipping) container,” he said.
He was eventually released without charge and continues to work, but usually hides with his clients when the patrols pass by.
“The thing is that no one can argue or question” the ministry officials, the barber said.
“Everyone fears them.”

 This photograph taken on February 11, 2026 shows an Afghan barber trimming a customer's hair along a sidewalk in Kabul. (AFP)

He added that in some cases where both a barber and clients were detained, “the clients have been let out, but they kept the barber” in custody.
Last year, three barbers in Kunar province were jailed for three to five months for breaching the ministry’s rules, according to a UN report.

‘Personal space’

Alongside the uptick in enforcement, the religious affairs ministry has also issued stricter orders.
In an eight-page guide to imams issued in November, prayer leaders were told to describe shaving beards as a “major sin” in their sermons.
The religious affairs ministry’s arguments against trimming state that by shaving their beards, men were “trying to look like women.”
The orders have also reached universities — where only men study because women have been banned.
A 22-year-old Kabul University student said lecturers “have warned us... that if we don’t have a proper Islamic appearance, which includes beards and head covering, they will deduct our marks.”

 This photograph taken on February 11, 2026 shows an Afghan barber trimming a customer's hair along a sidewalk in Kabul. (AFP)

In the capital Kabul, a 25-year-old barber lamented that “there are a lot of restrictions” which go against his young clients’ preference for closer shaves.
“Barbers are private businesses, beards and heads are something personal, they should be able to cut the way they want,” he said.
Hanafi, the virtue propagation minister, has dismissed such arguments, saying last month that telling men “to grow a beard according to sharia” cannot be considered “invading the personal space.”

Business slump

In Afghanistan, the majority are practicing Muslims, but before the Taliban authorities returned to power in 2021, residents of major cities could choose their own appearance.
In areas where Taliban fighters were battling US-backed forces, men would grow beards either out of fear or by choice.
As fewer and fewer men opt for a close shave, the 25-year-old Kabul barber said he was already losing business.
Many civil servants, for example, “used to sort their hair a couple of times a week, but now, most of them have grown beards, they don’t show up even in a month,” he said.
A 50-year-old barber in Kabul said morality patrols “visit and check every day.”
In one incident this month, the barber said that an officer came into the shop and asked: “Why did you cut the hair like this?“
“After trying to explain that he is a child, he told us: ‘No, do Islamic hair, not English hair’.”