Pakistan seeks review of court ruling declaring Imran Khan party eligible for reserved seats

A general view of the Pakistan's Parliament House during the presidential election in Islamabad on March 9, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 15 July 2024
Follow

Pakistan seeks review of court ruling declaring Imran Khan party eligible for reserved seats

  • Khan’s PTI party was denied its share of reserved seats in national and provincial assemblies, benefitting the ruling coalition
  • Government says the issue of granting reserved seats to PTI was not even in pleadings before the election commission, courts

ISLMABAD: The government of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday filed a petition seeking review of last week’s ruling by the Supreme Court of Pakistan that declared former prime minister Imran Khan’s party eligible for reserved seats in parliament.
The July 12 verdict in favor of Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party dealt a blow to the ruling coalition of PM Sharif, which may lose its two-thirds majority in Pakistan’s parliament. PTI candidates contested the Feb. 8 national election in Pakistan as independents after the party was barred from polls on the technical grounds that it did not hold genuine intra-party polls, which is a legal requirement.
Subsequently, they won the most seats in the election, 93, but the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) said independents were ineligible for their share of 70 reserved seats — 60 for women, 10 for non-Muslims. The reserved seats were then distributed among other parties, mostly those in the ruling coalition, a decision appealed by the Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC) that was joined by Khan-backed independents to claim their share of reserved seats.
In its review petition, the government noted the issue of granting reserved seats to the PTI was not even in the pleadings of the SIC before the election commission, the Peshawar High Court and the Supreme Court.
“SIC and PTI are two separate political parties and two separate entities. The Order under Review, it seems has treated them as one party with different names which cannot be permissible under the Law,” the government petition read.
“It is submitted and reiterated here that PTI neither filed any case before the ECP, nor before Peshawar High Court, nor before the Supreme Court, hence it is not entitled to any relief, let alone a relief which was not even pleaded.”
The petition stated that all returned candidates had already joined the SIC and hence there was no question of giving them an option of joining the PTI that too after many months of the election. It was also against Rule 92 (6) of the Election Rules, 2017 which states that once an independent candidate has joined a political party, there is no option to recall or cancel, it added.
“The Order under Review is against the settled principles of interpretation of the Constitution. By carving out a procedure which is not provided under the Constitution, Order under Review might have gone into the realm of creating and not just interpreting the Constitution which is against the long standing jurisprudence of this Honourable Court,” the petition read.
The government requested the top court to accept the review petition for hearing and stay implementation of its order declaring the PTI eligible for reserved parliamentary seats.
All candidates from Khan’s PTI party were forced to contest the February polls as independents after the party was stripped of its election symbol of the cricket bat by the ECP on the technical grounds that it did not hold intra-party elections, a prerequisite for any party to take part in polls.
The PTI is currently entitled to around 78 reserved seats in the national and provincial assemblies, which does not affect the parliamentary majority of the Sharif-led coalition government.
The July 12 verdict also bolstered political position of Khan’s supporters, whose rallying cry has been that the election commission and a pro-military caretaker government that oversaw the polls indulged in electoral fraud to deprive it of a victory. The ECP denies this.


From Karachi to Lahore, free iftar spreads relief during Ramadan

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

From Karachi to Lahore, free iftar spreads relief during Ramadan

  • Pakistan has increasingly experimented with targeted subsidies and digital systems to manage food affordability during Ramadan
  • Last week, PM Shehbaz Sharif launched $136 million relief package, pledging digital cash transfers to 12.1 million low-income families

ISLAMABAD: Mosques in Pakistan’s megacities Karachi and Lahore provide free iftar meal for the poor to break the fast during Ramadan, residents said.

Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, where Muslims abstain from food and drink from sunrise to sunset.

This is followed by the sighting of the new moon and is marked by Eid-ul-Fitr, a religious holiday and celebration that is observed by Muslims across the world.

In Karachi, hundreds of people rush to sellers of traditional snacks to break the fast.

“You have to be patient, worship Allah, and keep Allah pleased by fulfilling your duties as described by Prophet Muhammad,” said Munir Qadri, a Karachi resident.

A volunteer arranges iftar meals on the first day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan at the New Memon mosque in Karachi on February 19, 2026. (AFP)

“Yes, Allah has also allowed you to have a good iftar, but we must also think of the poor. All the people should eat equally, and may everyone receives the blessings of this Ramadan.”

Saad Sharif, another Karachi dweller, complained of higher food and commodity prices this Ramadan.

“The prices of everything are increasing,” he said.

“Petrol has become expensive, we can’t do anything about it. Flour has become expensive. Electricity, water, and gas, everything has become costly.”

Muslim devotees pray before breaking their fast on the first day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan in Karachi on February 19, 2026. (AFP)

Pakistan has increasingly experimented with targeted subsidies and digital systems to manage food affordability during Ramadan, when consumption rises sharply and lower-income households face pressure after years of high inflation.

Last week, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif launched a Rs38 billion ($136 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan.

Yet hundreds of Muslims flock to the Data Darbar, a historical shrine in the eastern city of Lahore, and sit on floor as volunteers distribute free food and drinks during iftar and sehri, post-sunset and pre-dawn meals.

Qari Muhammad Younus, an elderly man in Lahore, said that collective iftar holds great importance and there is huge divine reward for the ones who offer iftar to those with no means.

“There are countless [people] here, 24 hours, day and night, and there is more than enough food from iftar till sehri,” he said.

“There is so much food here that iftar at Data Darbar is second only to iftar at Prophet’s Mosque.”

Mushtaq Ahmad, a Lahore resident, said Allah Almighty asks Muslims to “spend out of what I have provided for you as sustenance.”

“And that includes these iftar meals. May Allah Almighty incline us toward such good deeds,” he added.