Seven civilians injured as militants attack army cantonment in northwest Pakistan — police

Smoke rises from the site of an attack at a military cantonment in Bannu, Pakistan, on July 15, 2024. (@zarrar_11PK/X)
Short Url
Updated 15 July 2024
Follow

Seven civilians injured as militants attack army cantonment in northwest Pakistan — police

  • Sprawling military facility in Bannu mainly houses offices of the military and homes of security forces
  • In statement shared with media, Hafiz Gul Bahadur Group, a Pakistani Taliban faction, claims responsibility 

PESHAWAR: Security forces foiled an attack by militants near the outer wall of a military cantonment in northwestern Pakistan early Monday, wounding seven civilians, police said, amid a surge in such assaults in recent months. 

The attack took place in Bannu city in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province bordering Afghanistan. The province has witnessed a surge in militant attacks in recent years.

“Terrorists mounted the attack on the Cantt at around 5:00 am, which was repulsed by the security forces,” Ziauddin Ahmed, the district police officer (DPO) for southern Bannu district, told Arab News. “As per initial information, seven civilians were wounded in the attack.”

He said a clearance operation was still ongoing and any casualties, including of soldiers, could only be confirmed after its conclusion. He added that sporadic gunfire could still be heard near the Bannu Cantt. 

Locals said militants had tried to force their way into the Cantt and had detonated an explosive-laden vehicle on the road between the supply depot and the outer wall of the cantonment. 

AP reported, quoting police, that a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle and at least one of his accomplices exploded his vest near the outer wall of Bannu Cantt, wounding eight civilians and damaging nearby homes.

Policeman Tahir Khan told AP security forces quickly responded to the “coordinated attack” and foiled an attempt by the insurgents to enter the sprawling military facility which mainly houses offices of the military and homes of security forces. He also said army helicopters and ground forces were still reaching the area to track more militants.

In a statement shared with media, the Jaish-e-Fursan (Hafiz Gul Bahadur Group), a Pakistani Taliban or TTP faction, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Islamabad blames an ongoing surge in militant attacks on neighboring Afghanistan, saying TTP leaders have taken refuge there and run camps to train insurgents to launch attacks inside Pakistan.

The Afghan Taliban rulers in Kabul say rising violence in Pakistan is a domestic issue for Islamabad and it does not allow militants to operate on its territory.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.