Saudi Hajj minister in Jakarta as Indonesia prepares record number of pilgrims

Indonesia’s Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas and Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah walks into a meeting room in Jakarta on April 30, 2024. (Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah)
Short Url
Updated 30 April 2024
Follow

Saudi Hajj minister in Jakarta as Indonesia prepares record number of pilgrims

  • 241,000 Indonesian pilgrims are set to perform the Hajj this year
  • Saudi minister will launch tourism exhibit in Jakarta on Wednesday

JAKARTA: Saudi Arabia’s Hajj and Umrah Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah held meetings in Jakarta on Tuesday to coordinate pilgrimage preparations as Indonesia is going to send its largest-ever Hajj contingent this year. 

The Kingdom has approved the 2024 quota of 241,000 Indonesian pilgrims, an increase of 20,000 from last year.

Al-Rabiah held discussions with Indonesia’s Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas on ways to streamline Hajj services for the Asian nation’s pilgrims.

“I just had a long and productive meeting and discussion with my brother, the Indonesian religious affairs minister, which was focused on giving the best services and ease for Hajj and Umrah pilgrims from Indonesia,” Al-Rabiah said during a press conference.

“The Saudi government has revitalized historical and Islamic sites in Makkah and Madinah, and other sites related to pilgrimage and the journey of Prophet Muhammad … and we invite all pilgrims to come and visit these sites.” 

Indonesia’s higher quota will help shorten the wait for some pilgrims by a few years, which is especially important for the elderly in the Southeast Asian nation. Many in the country wait up to 45 years for their turn, according to official estimates.

Qoumas said his interactions with Al-Rabiah had been meaningful.

“Maybe we can consider Indonesia as having received a special treatment from the Saudi government, as we are welcoming a big delegation led directly by the Saudi Hajj and Umrah minister, who are here to ensure that Indonesian Hajj pilgrims this year will get the best services from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” Qoumas said.

“As a representative of the Indonesian government, we feel very grateful and thankful.”

Al-Rabiah is scheduled to inaugurate on Wednesday a Saudi Tourism Authority event showcasing the variety of travel destinations the Kingdom has to offer as it aims to attract more international visitors under Vision 2030.


French hard-left party says evacuates Paris HQ after ‘bomb threat’

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

French hard-left party says evacuates Paris HQ after ‘bomb threat’

  • The party’s coordinator Manuel Bompard said all employees and activists are safe
PARIS: France’s hard-left France Unbowed party said Wednesday it had to evacuate its Paris headquarters following a “bomb threat,” after it was accused of partial responsibility in the killing of a far-right activist.
“The national headquarters of LFI have just been evacuated following a bomb threat. Police services are on site. All employees and activists are safe,” the party’s coordinator Manuel Bompard said on X.