Israel and UN disagree over Gaza aid figures

A convoy of aid trucks passed into Gaza at the Rafah border on Apr. 9, 2024, where thousands of Palestinians are displaced due to Israel’s military assault which has pushed people in Gaza to the brink of famine, according to aid agencies. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 11 April 2024
Follow

Israel and UN disagree over Gaza aid figures

  • Aid agencies, including UN agencies, have urged Israel to do more to let in food and other humanitarian aid
  • While Israel said 419 trucks entered the Gaza Strip on Monday, UNRWA said only 223 trucks had come in on that day

JERUSALEM/GENEVA: Israel has accused the United Nations of undercounting aid entering Gaza, saying on Wednesday the UN was using a flawed approach meant to conceal its own distribution difficulties, amid growing pressure on Israel to let in more relief supplies.
While Israel says the number of trucks entering Gaza has risen sharply in recent days, the UN has given much lower figures, and says it is still far less than the amount required to meet humanitarian needs.
Six months into Israel’s ground and air offensive, triggered by the Hamas attack of Oct. 7, most of Gaza’s 2.3 million people are homeless, parts of the enclave face famine, civilian infrastructure has been devastated and disease is widespread.
Aid agencies, including UN agencies, have urged Israel to do more to let in food and other humanitarian aid, and to facilitate its distribution around the tiny enclave.
While Israel said 419 trucks entered the Gaza Strip on Monday, the main UN agency there, UNRWA, said only 223 trucks had come in on that day.
Both COGAT, the Israeli military branch responsible for aid transfers, and UN agencies have said the discrepancy in numbers results from different ways of counting.
“The UN’s incorrect numbers are a result of their flawed counting method. Rather than counting the actual number of trucks that enter the Gaza Strip, in an attempt to conceal their logistical distribution difficulties, they only count the trucks that they have picked up from the Gazan side of the border,” COGAT said in a statement.
On Tuesday, Jens Laerke the spokesperson for the UN humanitarian agency OCHA said the Israeli count was for trucks that were only partially filled to comply with its military’s screening requirements.
“COGAT counts what they screen and send across the border. We count trucks that arrive in our warehouses,” Laerke said.
“Trucks that go in, screened by COGAT, are typically only half full. That is a requirement that they have put in place for screening purposes. When we count the trucks on the other side, when they have been reloaded, they are full,” he said.
Other Israeli restrictions mean the trucks often do not move through the border and into warehouses in a single day, further complicating a clear count, Laerke said.
“Egyptian drivers and trucks can never be in the same area at the same time as Palestinian drivers and trucks. That means there is not a smooth handover. First everything has to come in, has to be offloaded, everybody has to go out, before a new set of trucks from inside Gaza with Palestinian plates, with vetted Palestinian drivers, can go in and pick it up,” he said.

Battleground: Jerusalem
The biblical battle for the Holy City

Enter


keywords

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.