Djokovic keeping his Monte Carlo expectations in check

Novak Djokovic admitted on Saturday that he is not expecting too much from his clay game heading into Sunday's start of the Monte Carlo Masters. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 April 2024
Follow

Djokovic keeping his Monte Carlo expectations in check

  • The 24-time Grand Slam titleholder was quick to emphasize that the arrangement is so far strictly temporary
  • Djokovic said that building his clay game for Roland Garros is his main priority and that any result here will be “a bonus“

MONTE CARLO: Novak Djokovic admitted on Saturday that he is not expecting too much from his clay game heading into Sunday’s start of the Monte Carlo Masters.
The world number one who exited early on the Indian Wells hardcourts last month and did not play in Miami, had a training session at the Monte Carlo Country Club venue with fill-in coach Nenad Zimonjic.
But the 24-time Grand Slam titleholder was quick to emphasize that the arrangement is so far strictly temporary following his recent split with longtime mentor Goran Ivanizevic.
Djokovic said that building his clay game for Roland Garros is his main priority and that any result here will be “a bonus.”
“The expectations are not very high,” the 36-year-old said. “My results here in previous years (titles in 2013 and 2015) are not great.
“It’s all about building my game for clay courts. I want to reach my peak for Paris — that’s where I want to play my best tennis.
“Anything else is a bonus, so let’s see what happens.”
The Serb shed slightly more light on his surprise split from 2001 Wimbledon winner Ivanizevic after winning 12 Grand Slam singles titles with the Croat heading his team.
“We felt we gave each other the maximum, it was time to move on — it’s pretty simple.
“Goran remains one of the most successful coaches in the history of the game.
“We’ve done something that cannot be deleted, the results speak for themselves.
“He also remains a dear friend of me and my family.”
Djokovic said that he will work to prepare for the Summer Olympic tournament to be staged in late July in Paris at Roland Garros.
“But there is this little tournament called Wimbledon which comes in between (the French Open and the Games.
“The Paris Olympics are very important, the Olympics have always been a priority for me.
“But in the last three or four Olympics it’s not been possible for me to reach the later stages.
“The situation is a bit different now, we are playing our first Olympics on clay. I want to be ready physically and mentally.”


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.