Chinese dam project reopens after deadly Pakistan attack— officials

Truss bridge being constructed under Dasu Hydropower Project near Dasu Town, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan, on November 22, 2018. (Photo courtesy: @Dasu_HPP/Twitter/File)
Short Url
Updated 03 April 2024
Follow

Chinese dam project reopens after deadly Pakistan attack— officials

  • Chinese companies halted work on dam projects after suicide bomber killed five Chinese nationals last month 
  • Chinese contractor resumes construction on dam site after being provided extra security, say officials 

PESHAWAR: A Chinese contractor has resumed construction on a major dam site in northwestern Pakistan after being provided with extra security, officials said Wednesday, following a deadly attack on Chinese engineers.

Power China and the China Gezhouba Group Company had halted work on a pair of dam projects last month in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province after a suicide bomber killed five Chinese nationals and a Pakistani driver, causing their van to plunge into a deep ravine.

Hundreds of Chinese people are employed at the Dasu and Diamer Bhasha dam construction sites, located around 100 kilometers (62 miles) apart in the mountainous region.

Power China resumed work on the Diamer Bhasha dam on Monday after security was “significantly increased,” Nazakat Hussain, a spokesman for the project, told AFP.

And a security official told AFP on condition of anonymity that the government hoped to convince the China Gezhouba Group Company to reopen the Dasu dam site next week.

There has been an increase in “the number of the security officials and also an expansion of patrolling teams” in the region, he added.

Pakistani police have detained more than 12 people, including Afghan nationals, in connection with the bombing.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif visited Chinese workers earlier this week, vowing to put in place “foolproof” security arrangements and promising “exemplary punishment” of attackers.

Beijing is Islamabad’s closest regional ally, frequently offering financial assistance to support its often-struggling neighbor and pouring more than $2 trillion into infrastructure projects.

However, Pakistanis have long complained about not receiving a fair share of the jobs or wealth generated by the projects.

Last week’s attack came just days after militants attempted to storm offices of the Gwadar deepwater port in the southwest, considered a cornerstone of Chinese investment in Pakistan.

In 2019, gunmen stormed a luxury hotel overlooking the port, which provides access to the Arabian Sea, killing at least eight people.


Gunmen kidnap nine laborers in southwestern Pakistan, say officials

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Gunmen kidnap nine laborers in southwestern Pakistan, say officials

  • Gunmen abducted six laborers from Khuzdar district, three from Barkhan on Saturday night, say officials 
  • No group has claimed responsibility for kidnappings but separatist BLA group has targeted laborers in Balochistan

QUETTA: Unidentified gunmen this week kidnapped nine laborers from two separate construction sites in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, police and government officials said on Sunday, as security forces conduct search operations to recover them. 

The first incident occurred on Saturday night in the mountainous district of Khuzdar, where armed men abducted workers from a water channel construction site.

“Six laborers working for a private construction company were kidnapped after armed men stormed a construction site of a water channel in Mola, a mountainous town in Khuzdar,” Senior Superintendent of Police Khuzdar Shahzad Umar Abbas told Arab News.

He said the laborers were from Sindh and Balochistan, adding that police teams have started search operations to recover the kidnapped laborers. 

The second incident also took place during Saturday night when gunmen abducted three laborers from Dola river located around 12 kilometers from Barkhan city in Balochistan.

Abdullah Khosa, deputy commissioner of Barkhan, said armed men came from the nearby mountains at around 9:30 p.m. and kidnapped the laborers while they were inside their camp. 

“Security forces have been in pursuit of the kidnappers and search operations are going on for the safe recovery of the laborers,” Khosa told Arab News. 

While no group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping, the separatist Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has in the past claimed abducting and killing laborers. 

The BLA has targeted laborers mostly from Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province in the recent past. Ethnic Baloch militant groups such as the BLA accuse the central government and Punjab of monopolizing profits from Balochistan’s natural resources. The state denies these allegations. 

Balochistan, which shares porous borders with Afghanistan and Iran, has been the scene of a low-lying insurgency for decades. Militants have frequently targeted government officials, security forces, laborers and Chinese personnel in the area. 

The BLA launched a series of coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 which claimed over 50 lives while the army said 216 militants were killed.