France to provide armored vehicles, missiles in new aid package to Ukraine

A Ukrainian serviceman drives a British FV103 Spartan armored personnel carrier in the Donetsk region on March 30, 2024. France on Saturday said it is also sending hundreds of APCs and missiles to Ukraine in a new aid package. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2024
Follow

France to provide armored vehicles, missiles in new aid package to Ukraine

  • The armored vehicles are part of France's military inventory being phased out but “still operational”
  • France will also provide Aster 30 anti-aircraft missiles, similar to the US-supplied Patriot air defense systems

PARIS: France’s defense minister said Paris would deliver “hundreds” of armored personnel carriers and anti-aircraft missiles as part a new aid package to Ukraine in its war against Russian invaders.

“To hold such as extensive front line, the Ukrainian army needs for example our VAB vehicles: it’s absolutely essential for troop mobility,” Sebastien Lecornu told La Tribune newspaper in an interview published late Saturday.
France is currently phasing out its VAB fleet — some of them more than 40 years old — with new Griffon armored vehicles, but Lecornu said the older models were “still operational.”
“We’re talking about hundreds of them for 2024 and early 2025,” he said.
Paris will also supply more Aster 30 anti-aircraft missiles for SAMP/T launchers, similar to the US-supplied Patriot air defense systems.
“We are also developing remotely operated munitions in a very short timeframe, to deliver them to Ukraine starting this summer,” Lecornu added.
The French government is pushing defense companies to ramp up production to meet the needs of its own army and to ensure continued support to Ukraine after more than two years of war with Russia.
Kyiv has warned its stocks of munitions are running low, urging in particular Washington to end a political standoff that has frozen a new $60 billion aid package.


Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Maldives moves to merge key elections to cut costs

  • The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday
MALE: The Maldives will hold a nationwide referendum in April to decide whether the presidential and parliamentary elections can be held on the same day to cut costs, an official said Wednesday.
President Mohamed Muizzu has set the plebiscite for April 4, which if approved, would bring forward the next parliamentary vote and shorten the current legislature’s term by about five months.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled for early 2029, while the presidential poll is due in September 2028.
Muizzu’s spokesman said the president issued the decree on referendum on Monday night.
The referendum will take place alongside local council elections.
Muizzu has argued that holding both the national elections together would save the Indian Ocean archipelago about $8 million.
The People’s Majlis, dominated by Muizzu’s party, passed a resolution last week calling for constitutional amendments to synchronize the electoral calendar.
Former president Mohamed Nasheed has also publicly backed the proposed overhaul.
The push for reform comes as the Maldives faces fiscal pressures.
The International Monetary Fund last year urged stronger consolidation measures to stabilize the economy, despite a thriving tourism industry.
The government rejected an IMF bailout in 2024 and instead announced sweeping spending cuts, including halving Muizzu’s salary.
Home to around 382,000 people, the Maldives insists its financial strains are temporary and says it has no plans to seek external assistance.