Five killed in German motorway bus accident

Funerary service officers carry out the coffin of a victim at the scene of a bus accident on the A9 highway, where at least five people were killed, on Mar. 27, 2024 in Schkeuditz, near Leipzig, eastern Germany. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

Five killed in German motorway bus accident

  • German operator Flixbus said the bus was on the way from Berlin to Zurich with 53 passengers and two drivers on board
  • “The exact circumstances of the accident are not yet known,” Flixbus said

BERLIN: At least five people were killed and around 20 injured when a bus overturned on a German motorway near Leipzig on Wednesday, police said.
The bus came off the A9 motorway in the morning between Wiedemar and the Schkeuditzer Kreuz junction.
German operator Flixbus said the bus was on the way from Berlin to Zurich with 53 passengers and two drivers on board.
“The exact circumstances of the accident are not yet known,” Flixbus said in a statement.
“We are of course working closely with the local authorities and the emergency services on site and will do everything in our power to clarify the cause of the accident quickly and completely,” it said.
The two drivers both survived, Flixbus added.
Photos showed the bus on its side, having apparently plowed into trees on the side of the road.
Emergency services attended to the injured at the scene and the motorway was closed in both directions, German authorities said.
There were no indications that any other vehicles were involved in the crash, according to the police.
German Transport Minister Volker Wissing said he was “shocked” by the accident.
“Our thoughts are with the families of the victims and, of course, with all those affected, and we wish the injured a speedy recovery,” he told Welt TV.
Another Flixbus vehicle crashed on the same stretch of motorway in May 2019.
In that accident involving a bus traveling from Berlin to Munich, one person was killed and more than 60 injured, seven of them seriously.


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. (File/AP)
Updated 57 min 23 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

  • Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT)

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.